Marine Velvet?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Marine Velvet?

Postby Fishfirst on Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:47 pm

I have a few sick fish in my quarentine, I got them a month ago and up to this point everything has been fine. Until now... It looks as though the percula has no symptoms except for scratching, swimming really hard near the surface for spurts of time and a sudden loss of interest in food. And the blue tang is still eating but scratching a lot. These two are eventually going into my 125 but I need to fix this problem first. All water parameters check out fine 0 am 0 nitri 20 nitra pH 8.3... is this marine velvet? and will Rid-ich get rid of it?
Fishfirst

Postby SilverSurfer on Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:53 pm

I had what i believe was velvet-ich few months ago, took out my percula, and coral beauty angelfish. Looks more like a white film over the fish, and fish looks sick..just my experience, was my first sickness experience, everyone else recovered, just doin water changes, and used garlic in food, i know it's meant for resistance but was too late when i learned more about that hydro dip or something...
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

90% chance ick

Postby stevenliu on Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:06 pm

sounds like the sympton is ick. It is normal for fishes to scratch on the sandbed or object once in a while just like us. But if it happens alot it can only mean skin parasidic infection. Another inportant sympton is that you mentioned swimming close to the surface, which could mean the infection has spread to its gills and limiting the oxygen intake. You must take action fast. And try to used non copper based medicine if all possible just so that it doesn't kill your inverts.
stevenliu

Postby tzenda on Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:24 am

just for input, my two clown fish sleep floating just under the surface of the water right next to a power head and above a heater, they have done this sice we got them a year ago, just letttin ya know some fish are weird.
Your body is not a temple, its an amusment park. Enjoy your time there.
tzenda

Postby Fishfirst on Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:54 am

no this is definatly a different type of behavior... I wish I could just say that it is the clowns "crazy antics" but its not. I'm going to start treating with Rid-ich... hope this goes well... (even if they don't have it... I want them to be parasite free before going into the main)
Fishfirst

Postby spbreeder on Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:42 am

I would highly recommend using hypo rather than any meds for ich. It is cheaper, easier to monitor, more effective (imo) and easier on the fish. Ammonia is an issue in QT so anytime you change the water you need to add more meds. Here is a link on hypo, I have tried it and will never go back to medicating for ich again. http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevo ... inity.html
Good luck, Denise
spbreeder

Return to MARS General