Drilling Tank

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Drilling Tank

Postby BraenDead on Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:31 am

I am curious what people have done as far as getting a tank drilled for a closed loop. The tank would be a standard 120RR. Success with any local glass shops? Anyone do it themselves? Any suggestions?

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Ereefic on Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:53 am

Give the 'Light Haus' a call in Madison. I had them drill some smaller tanks, but they should do bigger ones too.
Ereefic
Site Admin

Drilling

Postby Toddah on Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:16 am

They did my 110, 5 holes for 1.5" bulkheads.
Lay them out at home with sharpie permanent markers and bring your own tank moving buddie because you will need to carry the tank in to the shop.
If I remember they will not take any responsability if the tank cracks or whatever but they did a super job and the holes had very nice finished edges.
A little pricy IMO but great work so the price is really secondary.
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby BraenDead on Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:23 pm

Anyone willing to disclose price ranges for getting holes drilled, either in the forum or PM? At some price point, you have to wonder if it is better off to drill them on your own (already have a drill press, just need the diamond bit).

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Toddah on Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:47 pm

I want to say I think it was about $20.00 per hole.
I thought about doing it myself but after watching how long each hole took to do I decided it was a good deal to just have it done.
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby BraenDead on Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:02 pm

That's not bad at all - I was getting worried drilling the tank would cost as much as the tank itself :)

Does anyone know if the all-glass RR tanks have any tempered glass, or are all the panes drillable?

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Ereefic on Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:50 pm

Best to contact All-Glass about that. The bottoms of RR tanks are drilled and then tempered so you can't drill them again. But i'd call them anyways.
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby spbreeder on Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:29 pm

They just tried to drill one for me (note the try :lol: ) I think they quoted $25. If you go there ask about my bulkhead, I haven't made it there yet to pick it up. Lazy schmuck, Denise
spbreeder

Postby BraenDead on Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:20 pm

By "try", did they crack the glass, or...?

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

drilling

Postby Toddah on Sun May 01, 2005 7:47 am

I sat and talked to the guy who was drilling mine during part of the process and he was telling me he has no trouble with 3/8" or thicker glass but the thinner tank glass is generally where they see cracking and it does not happen very often but it does happen. If I understood him correctly it is generally in the last few seconds as the "bit" breaks through the backside of the glass that is where the "problems" occour.
Toddah

Postby spbreeder on Sun May 01, 2005 9:10 am

mine was only a 29 gal. It wasn't marked as tempered but....
spbreeder

Postby jbartig on Sun May 01, 2005 9:42 pm

I've drilled several holes in 15g and 40g tanks. The scariest parts are definately starting the hole and just as it grinds through the other side of the glass. I've found it works better if you have something supporting the back side of the glass. Having a board or another piece of glass pinned against the bottom of the glass you are drilling helps prevent chipping as the last bit of the glass is ground away.

What kind of drill do they use at Light House? Is it just a standard drill press or something they position on the tank?

Jeff
jbartig

Location: Brooklyn, WI - about 15 miles directly south of Madison

drill

Postby Toddah on Mon May 02, 2005 7:27 pm

They had a really old portamag Milwaukee drill with a suction cup bottom on it, sort of like the kind used on a third hand soldering vise.
Toddah

Postby hazard on Fri May 06, 2005 6:57 am

Malatang on wiscichlidforum.com drilled 30 50g breeders. The first 2 he cracked using a diamond bit and cordless drill. The bit was dull after 2 tanks.

He then got I believe a glass cutting bit and used cutting compound with a drill press. I think they took 15-20min a tank.

Email him for details if interested

Chris
The tropheus are calling!!!
http://malatangcichlids.com
hazard

Return to MARS General