Things that make you go Hmmmmmm.

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Things that make you go Hmmmmmm.

Postby Toddah on Sun May 08, 2005 6:48 pm

I have a 110 reef tank with about 120 lbs of Fiji Live rock and (2) 250 Watt 14000K Aqua Connect double ended metal halides the bulbs are in a pendant and the bulbs are about 6" from the water surface and I have about 3200 GPH of water turnover. SPS corals are coloring on the tips and growing.
Here is my problem, I have tons of purple and pink coralline on the shaded undersides of my rock and anywhere the light is not directly shining on the rock. The bottom on my sump and lots of area on the walls are encrusted but I don't seem to be able to grow any in the display where the light directly shines on the rock. Do others have this issue?
I thought it was because of my prevoius 10000K bulbs but even under the 14000K I am getting nothing.

11 DKH
420 Cal
Mag 1350
1.025 Sal
77.2 - 79.5 temp
8.2 - 8.4 PH
4 - 5" DSB (Ya I know don't start!)
skimming about 1 cup a day out of tank
dosing Vin/lime 24/7 with automated drip
All corals seem happy with good polyp extension and growing.
Lights on 9 hrs a day

Don't know if I am worrying about nothing or not... :roll:
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby tzenda on Sun May 08, 2005 7:23 pm

i have the same problem with the coraline crowth only in the shadier areas.
i have a 75 gal with 2 175w 13k and 4 65pc antinic about 10 inches off the water. ive been dosing kalk and doin regular water changes, but nothin really grows everything looks healthy but just slow growin
Your body is not a temple, its an amusment park. Enjoy your time there.
tzenda

Coraline growth

Postby meisen on Mon May 09, 2005 7:02 am

Toddah,

Your setup sounds fine to me! Most species of coraline that typically come in on live rock are fairly low light species. They won't colonize the higher light areas of your tank. As long as your sps are growing, I wouldnt be concerned. People use coraline as a barometer of tank health but I think acros are a better one. Anyway, higher light coralines sometimes slip in on acro colonies or unusual pieces of live rock but they tend to be grayish or light pink, not the deeper purples and reds you are seeing on the lower part of your rock. There are also a couple of nice branching forms of high light coraline I have seen around lately.

Coraline in general seems to respond to strontium and magnesium supplementation FME and others but that could be coincidence. As you saw in that other thread, instant ocean is somewhat deficent in magnesium (but still the best value salt out there IMO).

I used to have some great high light stuff going in my old tank but it hasnt come back in the new setup (yet?) or I'd offer you some.
meisen

Thanks

Postby Toddah on Mon May 09, 2005 1:15 pm

Meisen,
Thanks, I kind of thought that might be the situation. I assumed if I had it growing on the shaded areas then the mix was good and it was the strong light making it scarce on the directly lit parts.
I have some new YELLOW stuff growing on the live rock, sort of creeps along the crevices and is fairly bright yellow color. I also have the little red tufts of whatever they are growing and lots of little red tube worms showing their frillies.
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby meisen on Mon May 09, 2005 6:56 pm

Without seeing it, I still bet that they yellow is some species of encrusting sponge although some bryozoan colonies are yellow too. I dont know of any coralines that are that color but maybe.....

Cool that stuff is starting to grow, one of my favorite parts of watching a tank develop is seeing what pops up next.

Mark
meisen

Return to MARS General