Annoying green algae on glass

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Annoying green algae on glass

Postby BraenDead on Thu May 12, 2005 7:43 pm

I have been trying to figure out how to get rid of an annoying green algae which developes on the glass walls of my tank.

First off, a description of the algae. This algae is very thin/flat, developes as very small dots that grow slowly and everntually get a very lightly fuzzy mat-type look to it. It is EXTREMELY hard to remove from the glass, generally requiring numerous passes with a fresh razor blade (mag scraper never has a chance to remove it). I personally find it harder to remove than coralline, and find it grows moreso on the back of the tank (outside painted black, might affect it).

Next, my tank parameters. For several months, my nitrates and phosphates have been completely undetectable on the salifert kit. I keep my alk at 8, ca at 400, mg at 1300-1350, and salinity 1.0250. Barebottom, phosban reactor, ER CS 8-1, 55g w/ 20-25g sump, mostly SPS tank.

I am running out of ideas with this. I am thinking a UV sterilizer (40W) may help from what I've read but am not really sure if its worth the money. I have never had any algae on my rocks, just the glass.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby spbreeder on Thu May 12, 2005 8:03 pm

I have the same kind of algae. I use a scouring pad (not nearly as often as I should), making sure it isn't a kind that comes with soap, and that seems to do a pretty good job when I actually get around to it. Of course my tank is pretty shallow so I can reach all the way with pretty good leverage. Good luck, Denise
spbreeder

get some macroalgae

Postby stevenliu on Fri May 13, 2005 7:58 am

I'd try get some macroalgae in the tank to outcompete the little green fuzz. I do have those algae once in a while but I have several healthy turbo snails who seem to have the apetite for those.
stevenliu

Postby BraenDead on Sat May 14, 2005 9:20 am

I actually had a fuge a few months back and it did not seem to help with this algae too much. I didn't really see a need for the fuge and havent noticed a difference since removing it other than less algae in the sump (the light caused all sorts of algae to grow).

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Return to MARS General