Plans for a VHO hood

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Plans for a VHO hood

Postby causeofhim on Thu May 19, 2005 12:32 pm

Hello,
I am going to be building a canopy for my standard 55 gal tank. I will have (4) 46.5" VHO in there.

I've been looking all over and cannot find a posting to a good DIY canopy that would work. I have carpentry experience, although I am not a cabinet maker.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks.
causeofhim

DIY hood

Postby Toddah on Mon May 23, 2005 4:03 pm

I looked high and low to find something suitable and finally gave up and just designed something myself. I built it from Oak dimension lumber from Home Depot. worked out well BUT

my next light I designed was a pendant design and I would never go back. maintenance is so much easier and heat was not nearly as much of an issue.

If you want some help designing something I would be glad to help.

Are you looking to have a frame that sits on the tank and has an access door on the front?
OR
A lower frame half that sits on the tank and the upper frame half containing the lights flips up like a lid to allow full tank access? (what I did)

Just some thoughts :D
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby Mark on Mon May 23, 2005 5:41 pm

Hey, we get to see what you did pretty soon, Todd :)
Mark

Postby Toddah on Mon May 23, 2005 7:05 pm

Sorry for Hijacking your thread COH
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby causeofhim on Mon May 23, 2005 8:48 pm

No problem Toddah. Thanks for the input. I was thinking about a frame that sits on the tank ten the top flips up with the lights attached to that. I was thinking that I could put the bulbs closer to the water that way. Can you post a pic of what you did? I know I will see it at the next meeting but I am kind of anxious to get started.

I dont want to do a pendant on this tank. It is going to be in the living room and want to keep the light confined to the tank as much as possible.
causeofhim

Postby Toddah on Tue May 24, 2005 3:21 pm

COH,
Sorry I don't have the hood anymore, I sold it with the tank when I upgraded but I can find some pictures to provide you.
Do you have the ability to do miters for the corners (like 45's)? not required but nice if you can do them.
We can just sit down and draw something up in a short time too.
I will look for some shots of the hood!
Toddah

Pictures in my gallery

Postby Toddah on Tue May 24, 2005 7:57 pm

Hey COH,
I put a couple of pix in my gallery to give you an idea. I have some really hires shots if you want to get me your email address I will shoot them to ya.

I can't figure out how to imbed a picture in this post. guess I will need computer 101 training
Toddah

Postby perpetual98 on Wed May 25, 2005 9:51 am

Hey Matt. I assume you're talking about one of the 55s that you got from me. With the tank being so narrow front to back, it'll be hard to do a flip up one unless the whole frame sits on the tank and the top flips up.

Are you talking a canopy like one of the ones I have on one of my 120s?

Eric
perpetual98

Postby causeofhim on Wed May 25, 2005 9:57 am

Toddah, you did a very good job on yours.

perpetual98, yes it is the tank with the stand that I am talking about.

I think I have an idea that will work. It will have a flip top too. I'll keep you updated on what happens. Thanks for the help.
causeofhim

Return to MARS General