how to move a reef tank?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

how to move a reef tank?

Postby stevenliu on Thu May 19, 2005 4:40 pm

Hi all, I will be moving out of my current apartment into another one in town in August and as the days starts to count down I look at my fishtanks and begin to worry how will I be able to move them without harming them. I don't have problems with my freshwater fish cause they are just hardy and tough. But I do have concern over my softies and anemonies as they can be easily squeezed and pinched while transporting. Plus I don't have the luxury to set up a tank in the new place, wait til it gets mature and then dump my stuff in there one b one. Does anyone have experience of moving reef tanks successfully without too much damage? Do you keep all the current water in your tank or do you pretty much dump all the water and mix up new ones as you settle in your new home? what containers do you recommend for liverocks with anemonies that I'd hate to peel off just to bag for 30 minutes and then reopen?
stevenliu

Postby BraenDead on Thu May 19, 2005 4:48 pm

Moved from Buy/Sell/Trade to General
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby tzenda on Thu May 19, 2005 5:16 pm

i moved my 75 gal about a month ago and what i did what drain the water into 5gal buckets keeping about 75% of the water and into those buckets placing the rocks and in separate buckets the corals ect. I left the sand alone (200 lbs worth dry) and just enough water to cover the sand, then my brother and i picked the tank up and put it and the stand in the back of the truck and to the new place where the buckets of water were waitin. the only thing i lost was a ricordia and that just got lost in the small sand storm some how :? overall it was not to bad of an expeience but not one i would like to repete often.

if you need buckets just ask here or the fish stores and im sure someone would lend you a few. thats what i had to do
Your body is not a temple, its an amusment park. Enjoy your time there.
tzenda

thanks!

Postby stevenliu on Fri May 20, 2005 8:37 pm

Thanks for the advieses. That sounds like something I can acheive.
stevenliu

Postby SilverSurfer on Fri May 20, 2005 11:39 pm

well can't say had as hard of a job as him ^^^^ lol, since only have a 10g nano. I moved last month, drained and kept water left lil water and sand in tank, bagged fish and corals, liverock with water in buckets and moved, sand storm last couple days...but that's alot easier to move. lol
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby bobbet43 on Sun May 22, 2005 8:10 am

When I moved mine I put a piece of plastic over the sand to keep it from moving around to much and then when the tank was in place I put a bowl on top of it so it would keep the sand from forming a sand storm when I added the water. Worked great for me
bobbet43

Return to MARS General