Poor SPS growth

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Poor SPS growth

Postby BraenDead on Wed May 25, 2005 9:19 pm

I have been getting really poor SPS growth since starting SPS quite a few months back. I started with frags from a couple members and from a couple online stores, and they are all very healthy.

I am starting to think that my lighting is the culprit as I have read a few people using Hamilton 14k bulbs have had very slow growth. I guess my question is what bulb would you recommend to replace the Ham 14k with to get the best growth and still decent color?

I am using 2x250W MH on a magnetic M58 ballast on my 55g+20g sump (no actinic, just MH), my levels are all good and have been steady for some time now. I am currently using standard spider reflectors, but plan on getting lumenarcs once I upgrade tanks. Any other recommendations for increasing growth?

Ca 400, Alk 7.6-8.4, Sal 1.0250, Mag 1280-1340, Nitrate and Phos 0.0

Thanks for any help and advise,

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby causeofhim on Thu May 26, 2005 10:06 am

Find the answers to all of your questions:
http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm
At least for what kind of bulbs to get. :lol:

Good luck Bob.
causeofhim

Postby BraenDead on Thu May 26, 2005 10:30 am

I've already looked at that site as well as Sanjay's at http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/ and have not really come up with a good answer for a new bulb. I think 10K will be too white/yellow as there is no actinic, but I can not come up with a bulb to replace it with that will perform adequately, at least based on the numbers given. Maybe it is time to get away from M58 ballast and move to an electronic ballast?

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Ereefic on Thu May 26, 2005 10:37 am

We have only used 10k XM's on our SPS so I really don't have anything to compare to. But they are a 'whiter' bulb than your looking for, although with actinics it very pleasent. And with PAR close to the Iwasakis.

We run the M58 ballasts too and I wouldn't switch to electronic ballasts personally. Sure you can run a bigger variety of bulbs on them, but you don't get the same light that you would with the magnetic ballasts. Sure it uses a little less power but the savings isn't enough to justify loosing any light IMO.

XM has a 15k bulb out now, which might be more up your alley, but I haven't seen any PAR numbers on this bulb yet. I know there are a bunch of threads on RC about this bulb, but haven't investigated it much. I'm very happy with the XM 10k/VHO Actinic look, I don't think we'll be switching anytime soon.
Ereefic
Site Admin

Lighting

Postby Toddah on Thu May 26, 2005 12:38 pm

Hi Bob,
I too run (2) 250 Watt DE MH Aqua Connect 14K bulbs, I ran XM 10's for a year and had very little growth (compaired to Mark or Ereefic's tanks) I am not running any supplimental lighting and after reading a few articals I have started cutting my photoperiod back from where I was at 10 Hrs. I have noticed new sprouts beginning on my SPS and the smaller frags seem to have kicked it up a notch in development. Now I know people say as a frag matures it seem to grow faster as it gets bigger so that could be what I am seeing but the colors are getting better also. I am following the line of thinking that I was providing too much high noon lighting and driving the SPS's into oxygen overload and stunting them by overload.
I feel kind of weird telling people I think I have too much light on a SPS tank but it seem that as I cut the light back things are looking better.
or is it just all in my mind?????? :shock:
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Return to MARS General