Identification

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Identification

Postby Constrictor_Dm on Thu May 26, 2005 5:42 am

I'm looking for a site that would assist me in identification of different corals, I'm very new to this and am confused by alot of coral looking very similar.
Constrictor_Dm

Postby mfd78 on Thu May 26, 2005 8:14 am

I've had the same problem... You can get books at the library that will help. A lot of aquarium information in books gets dated quickly but the coral info pretty much stays the same. You can check out this site: http://www.melevsreef.com/id/ has a limited number of coral pictures but no real info on the corals themselves.

There is always a TON of info at http://www.reefcentral.com but no real comprehensive database on corals that I've been able to find. Maybe somebody else will recommend another site.

Good luck!
Steve
mfd78

Postby moujon on Thu May 26, 2005 9:22 am

Me too! I'm looking for a site that let's me ID like you do trees- as you put in a parameter- it sorts down to the coral. I usually end up using the DrsF&S site- at least it has good pictures!
Shel
moujon

Coral ID

Postby meisen on Thu May 26, 2005 11:34 am

Here is one that was referred to me on RC:

http://whelk.aims.gov.au/coralsearch/coralsearch.php

Have fun with it, its pretty comprehensive!!! The site includes pics of the bare corallites as well as live specimens. The corallites are what differentiate corals to scientists. For us hobbyists, a generic name is probably sufficent.
meisen

Postby mfd78 on Thu May 26, 2005 3:30 pm

Sorry Mark! Too many goofy names on that site for ME to use!!! I have no idea what I'm looking for - I wish there was something like that specific for the aquarium hobby that was a little easier to use.

Steve
mfd78

Postby meisen on Thu May 26, 2005 5:01 pm

:D

Sorry, you're right its a bit daunting unless you at least know what genera something might be in (and then you might as well stop searching futher since you have to kill your coral to go any further typically). Anyway, a good resource once you narrow it down but maybe not so much if you just want basic easy ID. I wonder if anyone has made a key to cnidarians? I could do a really basic one if I had like a lot of free time....lol.

Bourneman's book "Aquarium Corals" is a very good reference although it is already starting to look a little dated. New and different things seem to start coming in as collection sites shift so its tough to keep up. He also goes over the various growth forms of coral so that you can start using the lingo like a pro.

Vernon's Corals of the World is the standard reference and excellent. Its super pricey- 100s for the whole set (3?) I think- if its still even in print. It too is arranged by phylogeny like that website.
meisen

Postby Constrictor_Dm on Fri May 27, 2005 5:22 am

hey thanks alot Steve those sites are helping alot. :D
Constrictor_Dm

Postby mfd78 on Fri May 27, 2005 2:35 pm

Cool - glad to help. Maybe someday I can hook up with meisen and make a corel website that people could use. I know what corel is and can make a website - he can figure out the rest! :lol:

I'll let you know if I find anything new in the meantime.

Steve
mfd78

Return to MARS General