new refugium

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

new refugium

Postby spongebob on Sun May 29, 2005 8:26 pm

I had a small catastophy last week I had a 20long ref with a maxijet pumping the water back into the tank. Well it apparently quit working sometime during the night and i came home from work to find wet carpet in my filter room and the water level had dropped down to the point that my filter was no longer working and my water was all cloudy. So I started planning a new fuge. I bought a new 70 gal AGA at Tropical Fish World for 70 bucks! And a new submersable 350 gph pump. I would attach a pic if I could figure out how. I am wondering if any of you might have some sea plants, grasses, or macros to sell. I also piced up 2 24inch 2by65watt pc fixtures by odessea for 130 bucks. I put in a DSB of southdown. Im hopeing to plant several different types of seagrasses and load it down with pods
spongebob

Postby causeofhim on Sun May 29, 2005 10:15 pm

I have chaeto for you if you want a baggie full.

Also, I would recommend the HD florescents you can get for the macro. The bulbs are cheap and the growth is great!
causeofhim

Postby mfd78 on Mon May 30, 2005 6:53 am

I also have some cheato if the west side is close to you and I agree with the HD bulb advice. I got one about 2 months ago and have had very good results - and they only run 17 watts or something! I do get some funky algae in there too but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

I'd also recommend those water detectors that Menard's sells for $10 to avoid a similar problem in the future. I've got 2 in my house - one for the aquarium and one for the crack in my basement wall! :) They've saved me a couple of times already...

Steve
mfd78

Return to MARS General