Thanks for the frags

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Thanks for the frags

Postby cpandrewschmidt on Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:09 pm

Thanks to all who helped me get my sps population to double. (Anyone have anymore they would sell :D ) I had a great time and will most likely join MARS shortly. I thought I would register here to and say thanks. I was super impressed with everyone there and their knowledge.

Andrew
180 gallon mixed reef
cpandrewschmidt

Postby mfd78 on Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:36 pm

If you came to a MARS event, I'm pretty sure that makes you a member! I don't think there's anything else left to do but look forward to the BBQ!

See ya there!

Steve
mfd78

Postby Mark on Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:47 pm

I'm sure there's more where you came from ... Ereefic and I have been trading for over a year now ... and I got two new ones from him on Sunday myself. Just when I think he has no new gems to trade ... he shows up with more than I can fit!

It's great having you in the club :)
Mark

Postby klasikb on Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:11 pm

Yup, you signed up on the web site, you posted, YOUR IN!! It's that simple, glad to have you :)
Sheila
Just a girl trying to create a little bit of heaven on earth, without killing it :)
klasikb

Postby Ereefic on Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:23 pm

Mark wrote:I'm sure there's more where you came from ... Ereefic and I have been trading for over a year now ... and I got two new ones from him on Sunday myself. Just when I think he has no new gems to trade ... he shows up with more than I can fit!

It's great having you in the club :)

We've got a bunch of different SPS, but many not big enough for fragging yet. I'm sure by the time the next swap rolls around, they'll be ready. :)
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby BraenDead on Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:32 pm

Eric, I think you may have mentioned this at the salt testing but where do you get the majority of your SPS corals/frags?

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Ereefic on Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:43 pm

I'm sorry Bob, but I can't reveal that info until after the next frag swap. :P j/k

The majority come from a few stores in Chicagoland. Reefdwellers, Sea Schor, Rod's Reef, A Splash of Life. We've gotten quite a few online as well, Dr. Mac, Exotic Reefs, Reefer Madness. And picked up a few at LFS's, but selection is usually poor at best, at least for 'frags' anyways. And of course from other reefers.
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby BraenDead on Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:47 pm

Awesome - I was thinking of placing an order with Exotic Reefs once I figure out what all I want (more likely, how much I can afford).

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby DAB on Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:19 pm

If you are up for the drive I would make it to Sea Schor. I travel all over Illinois and Wisconsin for work and have found them to have the best selection of SPS and rare corals of anyone in the area. They have tons of Bali Aqua Cultured SPS, nice zoas, acans, blastos, etc.
DAB

Postby klasikb on Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:29 pm

Bob,

Before doing an online order, I would save up and make a trip to Chicago and the burbs. Exotic Reefs has nice stuff, but I'm finding the same stuff or just as nice at some of the shops down there. Plus it's usually cheaper and you don't have to go through the "shipping brown outs" Reef Dweller, Splash of Life & Sea Schor are tops for frags and colonies. Rod's Reef last time we went was mostly nice colonies. We could even arrange a road trip with you if you want. I wasn't planning another trip till August or September, but that could always change. :)

Sheila
Just a girl trying to create a little bit of heaven on earth, without killing it :)
klasikb

Postby BraenDead on Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:41 pm

Thanks for the info Sheila. For reference (so I know how much to take), about how much should I expect to spend per nice frag or per colony? I'm only familiar with the local pricing of $60-$100 for a brown frag.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby klasikb on Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:07 pm

Bob

Frags will be anywhere from $15 on up. Most of them start the smaller frags at that price and go up depending on size and what it is. Colonies are usually $65 to $85 and they are not usually brown. Sea Schor was $85 for decent sized aquacultured colonies and they had a lot to choose from. From what I here they usually have a good selection, but they are only open about 3 days a week for now. Search RC in the CMAS forum for info on the 3 places I mentioned before.

Sheila
klasikb

Return to MARS General