Frag Swap Date, location and time set (page 3)

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Frag Swap Date, location and time set (page 3)

Postby meisen on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:27 pm

OK, spurred on by others (thanks guys, social guilt is a good motivator :) ), I finally talked to some folks and came up with a meeting time and day to get the ball rolling on this. Anyone is welcome and encouraged to come and lend input or just hang out and drink beer :mrgreen: , or both. We will meet at the Coliseum on John Nolen (technically its on Olin Ave but it frontages John Nolen) at 7:00 pm on Wednesday, November 12th. We usually have two to three of these meetings to get everything squared away and as always, we try to bounce ideas off the group as a whole after each one.

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS260US261&um=1&q=coliseum+bar+mADISON,+WI&fb=1&cid=0,0,5740698385796127361&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image

Key issues to discuss are going to be location (we do have some $$ from past swaps if we need to pay for a hall), date (weekend before Superbowl maybe?), times, rules and feedback from last year's event, question of limiting the number of seller's and how to include LFSs if they want to be included.

We will definitely need volunteers as in past years for various things:

Setting up
Distributing flyers locally (usually a PDF that you can print up)
Posting the swap details on RC, RM, TRT, SWF.com, UF, etc etc etc
Soliciting donations for raffles
Working the door
Breaking down afterwards and cleanup
Last edited by meisen on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meisen

Re: Frag Swap Planning Meeting: November 12th, 7 pm Coliseum Bar

Postby MM on Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:47 pm

I should be able to make it. - mark
MM

Postby meisen on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:00 pm

Great Mark, I'll be glad to have your input.
meisen

Postby Fishcrazy06 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:03 pm

Not to get off topic but what sites are RM (that reef Monkey) UF(uberfrags?) What is TRT??

Eric
Fishcrazy06

Postby meisen on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:22 pm

the reef tank

And yeah, you have the other two correct :)

Figured the folks that are on there know anyway, RC is by far the most popular last I checked, well next to madisonreef.com that is :)
meisen

Postby BraenDead on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:11 am

I'll be there!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby limpit on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:07 pm

Don't forget posting something on the WRS website.
I am sure some of us from brewtown will be making the drive.
limpit

Postby meisen on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:41 pm

limpit wrote:Don't forget posting something on the WRS website.
I am sure some of us from brewtown will be making the drive.

Yep, we definitely will as soon as things come together.
meisen

Postby Fishcrazy06 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:00 pm

Meisen when things come together I will post on the FVRC website for you as well. We are planning out our meetings for next year and was thinking of doing some carpooling and heading to this for one of the meetings.

Eric
Fishcrazy06

Postby meisen on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:37 am

Just a reminder that we are meeting tonight. Anyone who is interested in contributing their opinions to the discussion is encouraged to join us.
meisen

Postby Mike Brolin on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:26 am

Mark
Sorry Luke and I couldn't make meeting. We'll work at getting donations for the raffle again.
Mike Brolin

Postby MM on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:03 pm

Oh well :? , 7 oclock and still at work with no end in sight, sorry to disappoint. :oops: - Mark
MM

Postby ckumlien on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:22 pm

we need a do over
ckumlien

Postby Slakker on Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:57 pm

Mulligan!
Slakker

Postby meisen on Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:33 pm

Yep, we can definitely have a second meeting. Bob and I did have a good conversation about the swap though and defintiely came up with some ideas:

Date: January 24th or February 7th are possible dates (weekend between is the superbowl). Doing it on a Saturday would leave Sunday open as a snow date in case we get a big storm. Can anyone think of any reasons why one date would work better than another?

Location: Still working on this. If we hold it in the space I looked at last week we will need to limit the number of sellers (its not nearly as large as the space last year). It does have tables and chairs already and its very inexpensive. Its also kind of nice that its on the West Side (Middleton actually) since our past swaps have always been East of Madison. We can also do this somewhere like Wright Middle School. Our rowing club has rented their gym in the past for events and it is fairly moderate in price. Its a very large space (5,500 square feet or so) and can be configured with tables I believe for an extra fee. Its central to town and close to the beltline too. I will check on availability for the dates we are potentially interested in.

Rules: I dont know how to limit the sellers in a fair way however and it's been nice to have such a wide variety of folks selling frags in the past. We might be able to stretch out the time to 4-5 hours instead of the 3 last year....if we can spread the buyer crowd out somehow we can probably handle an even larger turnout than last year. Bob also suggested charging just the sellers not the buyers ie something like 0-10 frags free (half table space), 10-50 frags $25 (full table space, no electric), 50-200 frags $45 (full table space and electric) and commercial sellers $50 plus a $50 item donated for the raffle (2 tables of space plus electric). I think its a great idea and that way we encourage even more buyers to come withouth penalizing folks just bringing a couple frags in to swap. Perhaps charging more for sellers will also have a naturally limiting effect on how many people want to sell. So what do you all think about that? Would $25 be too much of a deterent to (most) sellers? Anyone have other ideas about how we might do this if you don't like the above idea?

Maybe staged door prize raffles (ie every hour we do one and it will just be the folks who arrived in that hour who are put into it?) or something?

Bob said he would also do some donation solicitation so would you please check in with him to make sure we dont overlap Mike?

I dunno, did I miss anything Bob?
meisen

Next

Return to MARS General