Frag Swap Date, location and time set (page 3)

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Re: Frag Swap Planning Meeting: November 12th, 7 pm Coliseum Bar

Postby Sula on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:17 pm

Here are my thoughts:
Stretching out the time - not sure how realistic this is, everyone wants to be there first to get the best selection.
Location - Middleton sounds very appealing to me, as that is where I live, but I think being East helps out of town traffic more. Is Wright Middle School the one on Fish Hatchery? very easy to give directions to...
Charges for sellers - Makes sense if you want to limit sellers instead of buyers, but the $5 at the door certainly didn't seem to cut down on buyer traffic and if there are less sellers it ends up being a dissappointing swap for the buyers who come.
Also, I think a fair number of hobbiests would be in that $25 range for sellers, right? Do people with that many frags usually set up a little tank to display them? If so, a half table with electricity might make more sense than a full table without (?) - guess it depends how big these tables are.
Staged door prizes - really like this idea, doesn't everyone love door prizes?
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Postby meisen on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:24 am

Good feedback, keep it coming! Do you think charging them instead will have a huge impact on sellers?

If so maybe we need to think of some other structure? I think we were just hoping to have a larger buyer to seller ratio. Perhaps just paying by space required instead of # of frags makes more sense and swappers can select the level they want. So something like $10 half table no electric, $25 full table no electric, $35 full table electric, $50+50 commercial 2 table space (dry goods and/or livestock). People can then naturally put themselves into the category that makes sense for them. And this year we were also thinking how we could bring in a little less $$ (I find that pretty funny) and still cover the costs of the space.

And yeah, Wright is the one on Fish Hatchery. Very easy to get to I agree. Its sounding like the better option to me so we aren't pressed for space in the lodge.

Hopefully will find out about Wright in the next couple of days and we can go from there.

What did folks think of the swapper trade only time for the first hour again?

If we use the larger space we can stay with a fairly compressed schedule ie 11-1 setup 1-4 swap 4:15-5:00 pm cleanup.
meisen

Postby limpit on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:50 pm

Did you loose the building that you held it at last year?
limpit

Postby BraenDead on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:10 pm

Mark,

I would certainly agree with everything being said so far, you covered everything we went over very well at the last meeting.

I would like to have in place the means to make sure that we attract the right amount of buyers and sellers. I don't think it's bad to accept donations from buyers coming in, I just don't feel like it should be pushed on everyone - more of a 'if you want to ok, if not ok' type thing. Before we come up with any concrete numbers we should probably try to get an idea of how much we need and want to generate from this event. As to this, I have no idea...

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby meisen on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:17 pm

I think we held back a good amount from past swaps (That was Carrie's suggestion I think :) ) so we can easily cover the costs of renting the space this year, paying to host the website for another year and have $$$ left over....so I guess I am feeling like we dont need to raise very much this year.....basic costs will be around $150 for the school rental, thats easily covered with 6 "mid-level" sellers. If I remember correctly we had 4 commercial sellers, at least 4 hobbyists with tank setups and 10-15 people selling frags in bags last year :wink: , myself included. The last group was hard to count because some folks didnt pre-register with me and just opened up shop, sold frags and closed up within a short span of time. Not that thats a bad thing :mrgreen:

But perhaps this year we can have strongly encouraged preregistration for spaces. I think we should have a couple of extra slots in case folks show up wanting space but it would be nice to not have scrambling for space during the swap. This way we can create a list of requested spaces, check people off as they arrive and pay and only deal with the few folks who show up with day of requests.
meisen

Postby meisen on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:26 pm

limpit wrote:Did you loose the building that you held it at last year?

The member who's space we used last year is no longer active in the club. I dont have contact info for him, felt like it was probably a bit much to ask him to host again considering.
meisen

Postby mfd78 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:47 pm

I would've had this info to you all earlier but meisen wouldn't return my phone calls cause he's mad that I didn't show up at the first meeting. :roll:

I contacted the Middleton Fire Dept. and they have a brand new building with a large meeting spot (no carpet) that we can use for 4-5 hours for a "$25 to 50" donation. Large area, parking, right off the Beltline, and a full kitchen if we need it (might cost more - I didn't ask).

I'm meeting the chief on Wednesday on another matter and can shoot a couple of pictures if we are interested.

That meisen gets so cranky when he doesn't get enough beauty sleep...

Steve
mfd78

Postby keyhole on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:49 pm

mfd78 wrote:, and a full kitchen if we need it (might cost more - I didn't ask).

Steve

FISH FRY :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: =D>
keyhole

Postby Slakker on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:56 pm

I like the pre-registration idea.
Slakker

Postby Sula on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:38 pm

I like the idea of pre-registration for sellers also. If there is a swap-only time it should be before the advertised 1:00 start time because buyers were coming in during the swap only, made it hard to "man" your table and still make trades.
And I guess I was flipping your goals, you don't want to decrease sellers, you just want to increase buyers - got it. A couple bucks doesn't stop most people but might turn a few away. If we were to charge, I would suggest minors get in free - seems to be a lot more teenagers getting into the hobby these days. Or students - we could say a student ID gets free admission. Of course, if all admission is free this is irrelevant babbling on my part...
I agree that we shouldn't be concerned about "making more money" - our goal has always been to cover the costs of our website and just plain have fun.

The Middleton Fire Station - now, that's an intriguing possibility. We are west again but it is right off the Beltline and very easy to find, lots of parking (voting on election day was moved there after a bomb threat was called into the school :roll: )
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Postby meisen on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:31 am

Good input on both threads folks,

I am feeling like the Middleton Firehouse is a sweet location all around. MC Firehouse has been asked to stay away from the pole BTW, we are keeping this a PG-13 fragswap.

I like the idea that we could expand significantly if we need more space, it is much cheaper than Wright and we dont need to worry about gym floors/custodians so much. We mop the epoxy floor when we are done, put the tables back and, well we're done. By having folks preregister we can know ahead of time if we need to use the overflow space(s) at the firehouse as well.....I think it involves moving firetrucks and whatnot. The space and acoustics of the main room are a lot nicer than a school gymnasium too.

So now that a space is looking set, anyone have any more feedback between the two proposed dates (January 24th/snow day on Janary 25th or February 7th/snow day February 8th) ?

I am leaning slightly towards the later date just based on a few people's preferences so far but anyone else have any thoughts or concerns?
meisen

Postby Slakker on Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:20 pm

You sure you don't want to have it on February 14th? :oops: I have swim meets both of those days.
(Not that you should change it just for me or anything)
Slakker

Postby Sula on Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:34 pm

Sorry Tyler, but I don't think Valentine's Day would be too popular.....just thinking of all those reefers worried about spousal reactions...
If you asked me to vote, I would choose the first date, but only because this is such a fun event I can hardly wait for it :lol:
Either date works for me :mrgreen:
Sula

Postby Slakker on Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:10 pm

Oh right...valentine's day...

Why do I always forget that holiday exists? lol
Slakker

Postby meisen on Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:08 pm

Dude, swim meet or frag swap? Come on, be sick for a meet and come swap some corals. How long does a swim race last anyway? Like thirty seconds? Swim and then come swap. Or pray for snow :mrgreen:
meisen

PreviousNext

Return to MARS General