Frag Swap Date, location and time set (page 3)

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Re: Frag Swap Planning Meeting: November 12th, 7 pm Coliseum Bar

Postby Slakker on Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:41 pm

Haha it's true, the snow dates would be perfect for me.

Unfortunately I've already missed out on two meets this year due to injury/illness, and it is my senior year...there's always next year's swap :D
Slakker

Postby O&J'sdad on Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:53 pm

Slakker is your real name AC Slatter. This sound like a Saved by the bell moment to me.
O&J'sdad

Postby Slakker on Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:56 pm

Let's be realistic...if I was AC Slater, I'd never forget about valentine's day.

I'm in my senior year at UW-Whitewater, so i'm not that high-schoolish. :lol:
Slakker

Postby O&J'sdad on Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:59 pm

The college years, or did you forget that great season.
O&J'sdad

Postby Slakker on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:45 pm

Ah yes...I had forgotten all about that...
Slakker

Re: Frag Swap Date, location and time set (page 3)

Postby meisen on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:32 pm

So we have a time and a place set up for the fragswap! We are going to have the MARS Fragswap 5.0 at the Middleton Fire Station (#1 I think?) on University Avenue Saturday, February 7th from 1-4 pm. We will have a one hour pre-swap swap for folks with tables only to get a chance to do a little trading before the chaos begins :mrgreen: .

A few significant changes are likely to happen this time around (still some discussion needed on these...read on if you are interested):

-Snowdate February 8th
-hopefully we will have early setup Friday pm and Saturday am
-FREE admission to buy or trade w/o a table!
-tables will cost $10 for a half, $20 for a whole and $35 for power (with a full table). This fee is to cover the costs of the venue and continue to support the website. Commercial vendors (table space+ as needed) are $50 or $75 worth of merchandise given to the raffle.

So that brings us to the next order of business: the next planning meeting. Mostly planning meetings are not like planning meetings you go to for work all the time. They involve beer, friends and lots of reef talk. But we also decide some things about how the swap should be. So if that sounds appealing and you want to escape the cold dreariness of Wi winter, come join us for the next one. I was thinking sometime next week, no day yet but what would work for folks?
meisen

Postby siropa on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:21 pm

Would there be any issue in sharing a full table w/power with someone else, or is it a 1/trader per table deal?
siropa

Postby BraenDead on Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:37 pm

Any day other than Thursday works for me. I'm partial to Mondays and Wednesday's.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby meisen on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:51 pm

siropa wrote:Would there be any issue in sharing a full table w/power with someone else, or is it a 1/trader per table deal?

We will talk about this at the planning meeting....I want to hear what other folks think about that.
I will keep you posted.
meisen

Postby Aimforever on Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:14 pm

I know this will probably make me sound paranoid, but one of the things that has always made me a little uneasy about the idea of a frag swap is it seems like a potential way to pick up pests like AEFW, red bugs, nuisance algae or whatever. Has this ever been a problem for anyone in the past? I've finally got my reef to a point where it is becoming grown in and I'm a little gun shy to introduce new stuff from traders who I don't know because of some of the horror stories I've read. I always dip new corals with Coral Disinfectant and then Coral Revive, but I'm not sure that these treatments kill everything.

I'm really not trying to be a downer... I'm just trying to think about how to reduce the chance of picking up something bad. Its one thing to see someone's healthy display and get some of their frags as opposed to only seeing a table full of plastic bags with frags from someone you haven't met before. Would it be worth having a dip station setup or a brief talk or handout from someone in the club with a good grasp on proper coral QT procedures or something? I'm not sure, maybe I really am being a little too paranoid. Does anyone have any input on this?
Aimforever

Postby joey on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:29 am

if you dip, you're probably alright.. to be honest i've never dipped anything but zoas, and i just do freshwater dip on those to kill off any nudis and what not
joey

Postby Sula on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:40 am

I don't think there's anything wrong with a little paranoia. Yes, a frag swap puts you at risk of getting bugs, so it's always a good idea to QT if you have a set up to support it, or at least dip and inspect closely before putting any new coral in your tank, no matter where it came from.
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Postby BraenDead on Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:23 pm

Anytime you get any coral or livestock or rock from anywhere you are at risk. This is why you should always take precautions (quarentine, treatments, inspections, etc). Frag swap is probably safer than other sources if you get from trusted sources.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Aimforever on Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:11 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll just have to setup a proper QT ahead of time, since I'm sure I'll end up getting plenty of frags :D I've been really impressed with every MARS member I've met and traded frags with so far, and I'm really looking forward to finally meeting more of you!
Aimforever

Postby Chachijoe75 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:23 pm

BraenDead wrote:Frag swap is probably safer than other sources if you get from trusted sources.
Bob

Totally agree. The only time I have introduced pests such as Aiptasia is when I bought from a store. As a matter of fact, the hardiest corals and fastest growth that I've had from corals, have come from fellow reefers.

Then again, we have to look after our investment. There are no guarantees, so inspect and dip!
125AGA Mixed Reef, Hurricone 2EXT Skimmer, MH 15k Lighting.
All controlled by Profilux Plus II
Chachijoe75

Previous

Return to MARS General