Website Ideas

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Website Ideas

Postby Ereefic on Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:41 am

Wanted to open this up to everyone as to get some ideas about content on the website.

IF you have any ideas on content for any of the following pages of the website, post them here.

HOME PAGE - If someone would do a nice little write up about the group and what were about, that would be great. I'm not much of a writer. :) Also thinking an 'Upcoming meetings' area where the meeting will be listed. Let's hear your ideas.

MEMBERS PAGE - I was thinking maybe a list of members. An email link from there name to there personal email, that way if you only need to email so and so, just click on there name, instead of emailing the whole group. Links to there websites if they have them, tank information, a little background info? How does this sound? Any other ideas?

GALLERY - Pretty much speaks for itself. Hopefully we can get everyone to post pics of there tanks, etc.

These are just some ideas. Let's hear what you think. :)
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby Mark on Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:18 pm

Maybe some sort of tank profile?
Every board I'm on sorta lacks in having a thread/area for everyone's tanks. Nice for questions, ideas ... or if you're shopping for something I can know you run 250 MH's + ask you questions.

Just a thought. I'll be thinking.
Mark

Postby Ereefic on Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:48 pm

Good idea. :)

I don't know how it would work, but something like the profile. Click on the members name and that would bring to a page about the person, there set-ups, contact info. Don't know if there is a template or something that we could use?
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby BraenDead on Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:06 pm

I was planning on implementing some sort of code to allow members to have pages with tank profiles and member information and stuff like that. I am moving this weekend so I may not have much time to get this implemented and coded until after this weekend, but it is definately on my list of to-do's.

Any other ideas would be great!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Guest on Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:38 am

Can we get an `edit' button so we can re-edit our posts? [even if for a limited time period].

I mis-speak a lot, find myself using that when I read what a nob I sound like. Never mind things can come out wrong - sound inflammatory when not.

Guess for the meantime I'll be very careful before hitting submit.

Postby BraenDead on Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:09 am

I will take a look to see if I can find an edit feature with this forum. I am thinking about installing a different forum as this one lacks a few things that I would like to see, such as subscribing to threads or emailing on new posts to threads.

Thanks for the suggestion, though, keep em coming!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby BraenDead on Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:14 am

Actually, you can edit your own posts. You just have to make sure you are logged in. Right now you are posting as Guest, which can not be edited except by administrators.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Toddah on Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:45 pm

SpEllChEcK, for those who can't :?
Can it be added as a addon component, I see more and more boards with this feature. Would be great but if code is not there I understand.
Toddah

Postby BraenDead on Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:57 pm

I have plans to implement spell checking and a watched topics list similar to Reef Central's feature. This will include email notification when new posts are made to subscribed threads.

Hopefully I can have this implemented by the August meeting on the 22nd.

Thanks!
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby MattK on Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:44 am

I may have missed it, but how do you get to your private messages without following the link in an email?

Also, a frag available section would be a nice feature. I'm not suggesting a forum area, but more like I've seen at http://www.frags.org.

Matt
MattK

Postby BraenDead on Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:13 am

Per the private messages, I just realized the same issue a couple days ago and will try to figure out the answer in the next day or two.

The frag section is an excellent idea. I am currently working on a new members section which will have information about members and profiles of their tanks (equipment, inhabitants, pictures, tank history, tank information). I will definitely add a frag section in here as well very similar to the link you posted.

Thanks for the ideas, feel free to keep sending more

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby BraenDead on Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:56 pm

Finally got around to adding a link up top to our private messages. Hope no one will miss the forum FAQ page :twisted:

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Brad_608 on Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:01 am

Is there a way to veiw all members or a list of them

I find the current members area confusing.

I know its a work in progress

but I think the site is coming along nicely

good work guys :wink:
I'm unemployable Yeah
Brad_608

Postby BraenDead on Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:20 pm

I created the members area so members who wanted to have a space and be known could. Often times on the internet people like to maintain anonymity, even with a group which meets in person as we do. Until a formal membership of the group is established (if one ever is), there likely won't be a list online unless people opt to be in it.

Unless anyone else has any ideas :)

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Brad_608 on Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:42 am

what about a user CP
I'm unemployable Yeah
Brad_608

Next

Return to MARS General