have any of you checked out the aquarium at themallofamerica

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

have any of you checked out the aquarium at themallofamerica

Postby Brad_608 on Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:38 am

I go to minneapolis regularly, and checked it out on my last trip.

they have over a million gallons of water under the mall, from sharks to sea turtles(a 180lb. one was stealing food from the sharks) they have show feedings in the afternoon

then there's a glass tube going through the bottom,the jeffersons automated walkway and all.

thats the salt part any way, they also have several other monstrous tanks with everything from waleye(?) to lake sturgeon.

if your ever in the cities check it out, plus it's the biggest mall in the country, if ya care about that sort of thing.
I'm unemployable Yeah
Brad_608

Postby spbreeder on Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:01 pm

I went there a couple of times back when they first opened (dated a guy from there). It was pretty cool. I liked it when the sting rays went over the tube, you can see their cute little mouths. Awww. :lol: My Fave though is camp snoopy, who needs to shop when there is a roller coaster? I don't know if they have that mine ride anymore, but that was fun too.

Hey, I placed an order with Marine Depot today, 4 maxi jet 1200 powerheads, a mag drive 18 pump (for a return) as well as various test kits and a phosphate remover (I think it is time to replace our ro filter). All that is left is to build a sump. Still not sure whether to go with a glass or acrylic tank or rubbermaid tub. Any suggestions? Denise
spbreeder

Postby BraenDead on Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:52 pm

If you have a lot of room for a rubbermaid sump and want something real easy, I would do this as it is cheap and easy. If you do not have as much room, go with glass or acrylic. Use glass if you can find one that fits your exact sizes, otherwise you can very easily build an acrylic sump as well.

I personally built my own acrylic as I wanted a sump to the exact eighth of an inch in each dimension. It is much easier being able to drill and cut anywhere you desire, as well as being able to attach probe holders, tube holders, etc.. anywhere you want with ease.

I got my acrylic and solvent (weldon #3 and #16) from midland plastics.

Hope this helps

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby spbreeder on Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:56 pm

It does. I think I will try the rubbermaid tub. That way I can see if it works for me and if not i can then go the other route. Better to be out $10 than invest in an acrylic or glass first I guess. Plus that way I can learn how to plumb without worrying too much about it.

Brad, sorry to get off track on your thread. :wink: Yep, The mall of America is cool. Denise
spbreeder

Postby Brad_608 on Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:47 am

thats fine :lol: :wink:
I'm unemployable Yeah
Brad_608

Postby BraenDead on Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:02 am

I'm sure if you need help with the setup, any of the members would be willing to help out. For me it took a few revisions of everything before I finally had everything the way I wanted it, but I definately learned throughout the process.

Back on topic - I've still never been to the mall of america yet :cry: How does this aquarium compare to the Shedd in Chicago??

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby spbreeder on Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:19 am

In my opinion, the Shedd is way overpriced. We went through the whole thing in about 30 minutes and the kids were bored (us too). I am not sure but part of it may have been shut down when we were there. There are WAY more fun things to do in Chicago, heck the Living Coast Display at the Brookfield Zoo was better. (Yep, we moved back up here last year after a 5 year stint in the greater Chicago area) The Mall of America's aquarium was more fun because of the tube with fish swimming overhead and moving floor. We hopped off at the end and went through a few times. It cost less too (as well as I can remember).

I'll let you all know how things are going with the sump. Has anyone tried putting a smaller rubbermaid tub into the larger one too be a fuge? Just tossing ideas around in my head. Denise
spbreeder

Postby Brad_608 on Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:24 pm

I go to minn. at least once a month and stop at the mall every couple of times .

they always have new store and different things. There's also three bars on the 4th floor, and some of the best arcades I've ever seen. And they tore down the old coaster and put a better one in.

if you went when it first opened then I'd say that it's totally different now.

FYI: there's over 500 stores in there,plus an amusement park with about 7 huge rides and an updated roller coaster, plus over
1,000,000 gallons in aquariums,plus a ten+ screen movie theater,plus three bars and about 10 arcades,and on a busy day can reasonably accomadate
up to 500,000+ people. the reason it's the biggest is cause it got all this plus so much more.

let's just say it's huge and if you can go through it in 30 minutes now, your running vary fast.
I'm unemployable Yeah
Brad_608

Postby spbreeder on Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:09 pm

I meant that we went through the Shedd in 30 min. Hell, it took us 30 min. to park at the MoA. (OK, maybe a little exaggeration :wink: ) We went to the bars there too, I am not much of a shopper, but was a pretty good drinker at one time (pre-kids).

Off track again....how about two rubbermaid containers connected with PVC, one for a sump and one for a fuge. I could put one in either end of my stand and leave the middle open for equipment. Maybe that is just asking for a troublesome leak. I don't know what to do. Denise
spbreeder

Postby BraenDead on Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:36 pm

As far as connecting the two via PVC, you should be able to with a couple bulkheads. These work fine on acrylic and I can't imagine they wouldnt work on a rubbermaid tub. Just make sure to put them on somewhere flat, without bumps ridges or anything. And don't make the mistake I made, make sure the gasket is on the flanged side of the bulkhead.

I would recommend to water test everything first and make sure there are no leaks anywhere (preferrably somewhere that water can leak without problems).

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby spbreeder on Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:04 pm

I am going to start a new thread. Sorry Brad. :oops:
spbreeder

Return to MARS General