OK, sump...

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

OK, sump...

Postby spbreeder on Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:09 pm

If I use two rubbermaid tubs connected with PVC, I am invisioning both overflows going into the same tub with the skimmer, etc, and then have the water flow (? Power head? will it just flow?) into the second which will be a fuge, and house the return pump. Maybe it would make more sense with just one tub. Hmmm. I am confused and looking for a solution :? . Denise
spbreeder

Postby Brad_608 on Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:58 pm

water flows in your sump, and goes out your fuge
water will naturaly tranfer from one to the other.
I'm unemployable Yeah
Brad_608

Postby tapper of spines on Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:46 pm

Agreed. You don't need to have a powerhead, though the added circulation in the refugium might be welcome, depending on how much flow you'll be getting from the return pump.

HTH
TOS
tapper of spines

Postby spbreeder on Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:48 pm

If my overflow/return is pumping approx 13-1400 GPH, what size PVC do you think I would need to keep up with the flow from bin to bin? Denise
spbreeder

Postby BraenDead on Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:50 pm

I would go with a something like 2" or maybe two 1.5" pipes. You could go smaller and still handle the flow, but it would be very turbulent.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby tapper of spines on Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:13 am

What size pipe does the return pump use? What size is the return via the overflow? My general rule of thumb is to upsize and then use twice the tubes. This can be excessive, but I prefer to plumb conservatively. :wink: For example, my return pump returns through a 3/4" line. My overflow then returns from the tank via two 1" lines (upsize and then twice the tubes) (to be honest, if I could redo it I would go with 1 1/4" lines). This way if one of the 1" lines gets plugged with something the water still has a route.

For your bins I would certainly suggest that you go with two lines, if for no other reason than the peace of mind, in case one of the lines gets clogged. I would then suggest that you go with at least the size of PVC that your return lines use, possibly larger. As Bob suggested, two 1.5" lines would probably work well.

HTH
TOS
tapper of spines

Postby spbreeder on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:50 pm

I have nothing yet. I have ordered the overflow boxes from lifereef and they won't be here until Feb. so I am researching and trying to figure out the best and most economical sump system. I spent so much on the overflows I need to be frugal on the sump/fuge. Back to the question, is it better to use one tub with not much room for water once the equipment and backflow room is left in case of a power outage, or to have two bins joined together? I am going to have to have a "come help me plumb" party to figure all this out. :lol:

Oh yeah, another question. I read on an RC calculator that I need 11.6 gal room in case of a poweroutage, If I have 2 overflows, do I need twice that room? I feel kind of clueless. Thanks for any BTDT info. Denise
spbreeder

Postby BraenDead on Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:13 pm

You won't need twice the space even if you have a dual-overflow system. The space is in case of a power outage, the water will drain from your tank into your sump (generally about lengthxwidthx0.5" of water will drain). You will need to make sure to have a small hole in your return lines to make sure not to create a siphon, otherwise account for extra drainage space.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Ereefic on Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:42 pm

If you have room for 2 containers, i'd go with 2. The most important thing is knowing how much water will drain back if the power goes out to not cause a flood.

There are several ways of setting up a sump, i'll tell you how I did mine, maybe it will help.

I have a 55 gal. tank as a sump, put in my own baffles. (This houses heater, skimmer, pump for a refugium and return pumps) I then have a 30 gal. tank as a refugium/growout tank that sits higher than the sump and right next to it. That refugium is drilled. A powerhead in the sump pumps water up into the refugium and the water gravity feeds back to the sump. I did it this way because I wanted more flow through the sump than the fuge.

When my power goes out, everything drains into the sump but there is plenty of room for all the water because I figured how much would drain back and made the water level in the sump to accomidate that.

Don't know if this helped or not.
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby spbreeder on Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:07 pm

Thanks, you are all very helpful.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/denisetwite/000_0006.jpg

Here is a photo of my stand (and youngest son) both doors open. It is 72" long. I would like to have the fuge higher than the sump but if there has to be lights, I don't know how that would be possible unless I put it outside of the stand. I was thinking that if I put 2 tubs, one on either end, and leave the middle open for access equipment etc. that would be best and allow me the most volume. I hope this helps explain my ideas a little better. I welcome any suggestions. Denise
spbreeder

Postby Brad_608 on Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:12 pm

from that pic I'd say there's plenty of room for anything, I mean with both doors open I can see tons of room for tubs :lol: :lol:

J/K

could we get one with em open?

:lol:
I'm unemployable Yeah
Brad_608

Return to MARS General