marineland led lights

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

marineland led lights

Postby envoy1975 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:46 pm

does anybody know how well these work marineland reef led lights what kind of coral can they handle
envoy1975

Re: marineland led lights

Postby NVCichlids on Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:53 pm

I had a discussion with a guy from Aquatics Unlimited, and Marineland has two different LED sets out. THey have these standard ones, then double power, but then there is a new LED fixture coming out around Christmas is when they are supposed to be getting into stores, Aquatics seems to have some already. I was looking at a 20" that is set up to grow ANY TYPE of coral according to the Marineland rep, but the price tag was $200.
-Nate
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>
NVCichlids

Postby envoy1975 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:55 pm

i work at a pet store in beloit and seen the ad on them just didnt know what they could run
envoy1975

Postby skanderson on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:26 pm

impossible to know what they would grow without knowing the number and power and brand of leds used. also a par test of them would be helpful. my impression is that that is a low price for a decently powered system, whether that means that they are a good deal or that they are not up to the task of lighting a reef is still up in the air, but i would be very suspicious. a general rule of thumb for reef lighting with good leds is one led per 10 to 20 square inches of surface area and when you diy them the costs run about 8 to 10 bucks per led. assuming that the 20 inch fixture is to cover 240 sq in. that would be between 12 and 24 leds. with a cost spread of about 100 to 250 bucks. so i guess it is possible that they are ok but i would want specs on the leds both number and type.
skanderson

Postby skanderson on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:41 pm

just looked up a good review of these on the reefbuilder website. they look like they could light a 18 inch or shallower reef sufficiently well but the color is not quite blue enough for me. and i dont like windex blue tanks. looks like a decent entry level led system.
skanderson

Postby Mitsue Besso on Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:50 am

THey have these standard ones, then double power, but then there is a new LED fixture coming out around Christmas is when they are supposed to be getting into stores.

Mitsue Besso

Return to MARS General