14 gallon Biocube questions

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

14 gallon Biocube questions

Postby NVCichlids on Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:24 pm

So for christmas my family purchased me a 14 gallon biocube. The lighting is a 24 watt 10k and 24 watt actnic lighting (believe Sula ID'd the lighting as PC lighting...)

Now I do not know much about these systems, so once again I am going to have questions. With the above lighting, will I have problems growing zoa's, mushrooms, hammer/frogspawn, brain corals? Took my wife through a local store today and those were what she liked and I would have to agree with her tastes here.

Also, I see the filter portion in the back, does it also have a built in heater, if not, where is it reccommended to be placed?

Well here are the two pictures thus far of it..

DSCN5838.JPG
Biocube
DSCN5838.JPG (57.84 KiB) Viewed 904 times

DSCN5839.JPG
Lighting
DSCN5839.JPG (103.03 KiB) Viewed 904 times

Now I know I have what is needed to get started (30 lbs of salt, hydrometer, test kit, sand, heater, minijet pump(s), and now the tank, and I was talking to a local member about picking up live rock soon as well. So is there anythign I am missing?
-Nate
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>
NVCichlids

Re: 14 gallon Biocube questions

Postby SeeingGreen on Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:23 am

I would research the modded versions if you are handy and would like to prepare yourself. This will allow you to get it all done prior to filling.

Nano-reef.com has a ton of mods for it.

Additionally, I know it will grow mushrooms, and it should be able to support the maxi-mini nems that Ziggy offers. I know it will support galacia (spelling?) but am not sure about the stock lighting supporting a brain. Hammer should be able to be held, but not a ton of growth expected. Or at least not experienced on my end.

Personally, I wish when I set my girlfriend's up I would have put a few of the nicer mods on it. I would recomend looking for the fish savers they sell for them. when full, fish like to swim over the edge, and are a PITA to get out.

Heater, in hers is in the return chamber, and the level of the water is always kept full full. If you don't check the water level often, I wouldn't put it there, as it could fry.

If you buy the skimmer (not really sure of its quality) it goes in the first chamber, so not much else fits.

She has rubble in chamber two, which I am not sure was a great idea, but it seems ok.

Personally, I am on an LED kick, so I recomend buying the upgrade kit (nanotuners has one), or DIYing it. But i am partial.
SeeingGreen

Postby Sula on Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:36 am

Nano-reef - good call on that, tons of information there on possible mods if you want to go that way

Here's one thread (34 pages!) just on Biocubes......
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.p ... pic=180788
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Postby NVCichlids on Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:51 am

I am not handy at all.. I do not trust myself with sissors, so I was hoping to just keep it as it stands.
-Nate
NVCichlids

Postby skanderson on Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:14 am

most brain corals do fairly well under modest lighting especially if fed. you may also be able to keep some of the simpler sps corals like monti caps. make sure if you are keeping that lighting that you regularly change the bulbs. they will loose a significant amount of capacity within a year. you may want to change them every 8 to 12 months.
skanderson

Postby NVCichlids on Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:07 am

so I reviewed some of the info on that site.. seems like I MIGHT be able to do a couple.

I found this one which seemed interesting, to add another light but I was confused, would I need to buy a separate ballast then as well?

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info. ... cts_id=346

Seems like a lot of work for a lot of money more :(
-Nate
NVCichlids

Postby sslak on Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:51 pm

SeeingGreen wrote: I would recomend looking for the fish savers they sell for them. when full, fish like to swim over the edge, and are a PITA to get out.

+1

I lost a shrimp goby because it jumped over the false back and into the return chamber and I couldn't catch it. It was able to hide between the glass and the plastic surrounding the viewing window. Eventually it died, nothing I could do about it.
Steve
sslak

Postby NVCichlids on Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:45 pm

I will definately do this,

also I took apart the second compartment to see what type of stuff was in it and it has a bunch of bioballs. are these good bad or ??

Also, I will use chemipure as I love that product. but I am not sure what other media should be used in here?
-Nate
NVCichlids

Postby SeeingGreen on Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:09 pm

I took hers out and put rubble rock in. On the plus side, if you get decent live rock this is a great area for the mini snails, brittles, and pods to come from (at least thats where they reside in hers) but otherwise I would suggest looking at the fuge mods or a media rack for in there, as everyone I have told about the rock grumbles "nitrate factory at me. She likes it though, her tank is up for almost 3 years now, and with little maint has been a 6 month storage for diff things for me at different times. She wanted the choc chip star though, so now it is just a bunch of shrooms, galacia and a soon to house xenia.

To do it all over I would not put the skimmer in there, as she admittedly forgets to empty it and its not super helpful aside from adding O2, which is easier with an airstone alone. plus it frees up space for better things like the media rack :)

Check out SteveT's media acks from nano reef. pricey but if you don't feel like using the tools, a decent investment.
SeeingGreen

Postby SeeingGreen on Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:17 pm

SeeingGreen

Postby NVCichlids on Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:48 pm

I looked through his stuff and the fish saver will definately be ordered, but what is soo special about his media tray for compartment 2? Couldn't a standard compartment two work? (filter floss ontop, purigen middle and chemipure on the bottom as recommended in one of his examples)?
-Nate
NVCichlids

Postby SeeingGreen on Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:08 pm

Nothing to special. I was looking at the one for my Aquapod 24 :/
For mine it was moderately special. It really could just be stacked in there just fine.
SeeingGreen

Postby SeeingGreen on Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:17 pm

Also the fisk saver can be home made if you have plexi around and a drem
SeeingGreen

Postby NVCichlids on Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:28 pm

I am very unhandy and the guy who makes those are from wisconsin, so I am ok with the idea. I am talking with my wife to see if she wants to purchase his "trays" for media in the second section.

Also, where the water comes in, many people have knocked out the false bottom. I do not have a heater in my unit now, so I was thinking of trying to knock out the bottom so my heater fits. Is this a good idea or a bad as I don't want to damage anything with the tank itself.

Also was reading about an upgrade to the return pump to a 1200 maxijet.. is this also recommended? These last two things I should be able to do pretty easily if it is recommended.
-Nate
NVCichlids

Postby plainrt on Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:56 pm

NVCichlids wrote:I am very unhandy and the guy who makes those are from wisconsin, so I am ok with the idea. I am talking with my wife to see if she wants to purchase his "trays" for media in the second section.

Also, where the water comes in, many people have knocked out the false bottom. I do not have a heater in my unit now, so I was thinking of trying to knock out the bottom so my heater fits. Is this a good idea or a bad as I don't want to damage anything with the tank itself.

Also was reading about an upgrade to the return pump to a 1200 maxijet.. is this also recommended? These last two things I should be able to do pretty easily if it is recommended.

I dont feel the trays are needed.I never used them in my cubes.And with the fish saver thing you can just go to local fish store and buy the plastic strip for on back of glass aquarium lids.can cut easy and just slide over back wall.I smashed my false bottom out of my 14gal.It feels like its gonna break but dont worry lol.Also i blocked bottom intake after broke that out.Do not upgrade to a 1200 in a 14gal.You will prob end up with heat issues as i did in mine.A mj900 is better bet.I also ran a koralia nano for extra flow.Have fun they are great tanks.
plainrt

Next

Return to MARS General