14 gallon Biocube questions

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Re: 14 gallon Biocube questions

Postby Sula on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:18 pm

There are lots of cool crabs - I loved having an emerald crab in my nano, they are really fun to watch in a small tank. Plus they are pretty useful at helping to clean up algae, at least until they figure out that the fish food is tastier and easier to catch :lol:
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Postby Sula on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:46 pm

Speaking of cool crabs......In all my re-arranging of my 40B I must have disturbed my Pom Pom crab from his usual hiding place.
Very exciting since I haven't seen him in months........

(sorry for the Hijack)
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Postby NVCichlids on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:04 pm

no problem, seeing that kick butt little crab is worth it lol
-Nate
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>
NVCichlids

Postby Sula on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Yeah, he is really cool - just incredibly reclusive.
When I had an Emerald crab in a nano (first a 10g, then a 20 followed by a 29 :lol: )they were just a hoot to watch. One guy would actually hang on to the rock and swing his other claw out like a trapeze artist, trying to catch mysis shrimp out of the water column when I fed the fish :D
Sula

Postby NVCichlids on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:35 pm

well the whole cocktail shrimp has been gone a good 4-5 days now, still no spike, and the browness is going away. I added two fish as they are a fish I plan to keep throughout the life of my saltwater experience (only other fish i might add would be a goby sp on the bottom and my possum wrasse later this year.) Anyways, I got two firefish and some snails (2 margarita's, 2 nerites). So far so good.

Plus my mushroom has seems to be doing quite well. it looks like it has gained some size. Pictures to come later tonight after I recharge the batteries!
-Nate
NVCichlids

Postby Sula on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:50 pm

Monitor closely (which you are obviously already doing) and feed VERY sparingly, especially at first......
Sula

Postby NVCichlids on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:25 pm

I am.. I listen for the most part lol.. Parameters are still all the same as before.

ph: 8.4
ammo: 0
nitrate: 0
nitrite 0

Anywhos, here are the pictures from this evening.

DSCN5920.JPG
Tank
DSCN5920.JPG (130.59 KiB) Viewed 420 times

RSCN5929.JPG
Mushroom
RSCN5929.JPG (91.77 KiB) Viewed 420 times

RSCN5930.JPG
pebble size nerite
RSCN5930.JPG (89.46 KiB) Viewed 420 times
-Nate
NVCichlids

Postby Sula on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:58 pm

Looks good!
Sula

Postby NVCichlids on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:22 pm

as long as everything stays good (levels) I plan to get some more corals next monday.

also, is it a bad idea to add any Feather Caulerpa? I love how it looks, but would be afraid of it taking over and causing issues with corals.
-Nate
NVCichlids

Postby Sula on Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:06 pm

NVCichlids wrote: taking over and causing issues with corals.

this is exactly what it will do...
Sula

Postby NVCichlids on Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:12 am

I think I might set up my 8 gallon finnex as a cooler/cold water nano and attempt some other marine plants with some catalina's. This wouldn't be til summer as I need to test the temp fluctuation on a non-heated tank before attempting this.
-Nate
NVCichlids

Postby NVCichlids on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:46 am

Would my tank be able to house a single Paracheilinus mccoskeri, and are they 100% reef safe? I have a friend who has a 2" male that he is looking to part with.

Oh, BTW, my firefish have a single burrow dug out under the live rock on the right side and they share the cave.. so neat seeing them cuddling in there LOL.
-Nate
NVCichlids

Postby Sula on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:14 pm

NVCichlids wrote:Would my tank be able to house a single Paracheilinus mccoskeri, and are they 100% reef safe? I have a friend who has a 2" male that he is looking to part with.

I would vote no for this, I think the wrasse would need a bigger tank. Plus if you are planning to add a pair of gobies down the road you are about maxing out the tank IMO, but as I've said before I am very conservative about fish load.

NVCichlids wrote:Oh, BTW, my firefish have a single burrow dug out under the live rock on the right side and they share the cave.. so neat seeing them cuddling in there LOL.

Very cool - I used to have a pair of scissortail gobies (also in the dartfish family) who did that, it was very fun to watch. :D
Sula

Postby NVCichlids on Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:08 pm

did your scissortails ever breed? I only ask because mine are really becoming protect of that cave they have dug out and everytime I come near the tank now one darts in and stays in the other stays near the enterence. Wishful thinking I know, but behavior makes me wonder. THey use to just sit infront of the tank and stare at me as I stared at them.
-Nate
NVCichlids

Postby Sula on Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:13 pm

I often suspected they had something they were protecting in that cave, but could never prove it.
Sula

PreviousNext

Return to MARS General