High ph

The community forum is a place for sharing community items and benefiting the community. Look inside to see different threads with ideas for bettering the community and helping fellow community reefers!

Moderators: BraenDead, nasanek

High ph

Postby Gary on Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:10 pm

Hi guys looking for some help with a high pH problem I've been having for that last week 8.2 at night and goes up to 8.6 at the high point of the day. All water parameters are good I'm not dosing anything. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Gary

Re: High ph

Postby starboard on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:15 pm

Gary wrote:Hi guys looking for some help with a high pH problem I've been having for that last week 8.2 at night and goes up to 8.6 at the high point of the day. All water parameters are good I'm not dosing anything. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
wish I had your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
starboard

Postby Gary on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:39 pm

Lol it's driving me crazy can't figure out why. Only thing I have not checked is alk and Cal.
Gary

Postby Rueg on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:34 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. PH will be highest at the end of your lighting period and lowest right before the lights turn on - it is natural to have this swing because of photosynthesis.

But, if you are worried about it or think it is impacting your livestock, you could play with spreading out the lighting. Have the lights come on, turn off for a few hours in the middle of your lighting cycle, and then turn on again to finish the lighting period for how many hours you are trying to have the lights on.

What I used to do to minimize PH swing was have the refugium light/s on opposite of when the main tank lights were on.
Rueg

Postby Gary on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:34 pm

Yes I do the same with the sump. I think I tracked it down to my alk. Is high and so is my Cal. Don't know why it's high I don't dose or have a calicum reactor. Just instant ocean reef Crystals.This is a 6 mo. Old set up with very little Coral as of now. I'm guessing that because I'm not using up ALK or Cal. And mag. I do water change every 2 weeks I'm getting a build up of all 3 making me have high pH. Does this sound rite or am I missing something please chime in :)
Gary

Postby Gary on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:41 pm

Alk is 12... calicum is at 520 I don't have a mag. Test kit but I assume that all 3 are high I know there not crazy high but my lps are not happy and my rainbow bubble tip is not happy also
Gary

Postby Rueg on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:00 am

Interesting. I am doubtful it could be from the salt, unless you got a bad batch. The only salt I had wonky readings from was Oceanic - and then I would mix that with Reef Crystals to get the readings I wanted. Not sure what to tell ya. Any chance you could try a different batch of Reef Crystals?
Rueg

Postby Gary on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:09 pm

Just ordered some last night it should be here on Saturday
Gary

Postby O&J'sdad on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:57 pm

What are you using to get your ph number? If it is a pro e has it be calibrated? I wouldn't trust most of the test kits to get an accurate measurement either.
O&J'sdad

Postby Gary on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:42 pm

I'm useing a pinpoint pH probe. And I re calibrated it when I seen the pH was high and no change so I calibrated a new backup one and still the same. I have been doing 30 gallon water change and I'd has been coming down got it to a high of 8.54. I also will do another water change tomorrow my new box of salt came in today
Gary

Postby Gary on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:44 pm

Is it possible to get a build up of Cal all and mag because I don't have alot of corals to use bit up ?
Gary

Postby Gary on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:45 pm

Alk*** not all
Gary

Postby kimmysawi on Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:49 am

Rueg wrote:Interesting. I am doubtful it could be from the salt, unless you got a bad batch. The only salt I had wonky readings from was Oceanic - and then I would mix that with Reef Crystals to get the readings I wanted. see reviews of phenq diet pills Not sure what to tell ya. Any chance you could try a different batch of Reef Crystals?

This was the best time to emerge those easily
kimmysawi

Postby Rueg on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:18 am

Don't understand your reply kimmysawi.
Rueg

Return to Community Forum