Jack's 20g Tall

Threads that cover tank builds or tank progress for MARS members

Moderator: BraenDead

Jack's 20g Tall

Postby jservedio on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:49 am

This tank is a a couple years old, but over the last 6-8 months, it has been through hell and back and still looks pretty good. I'm going to start the build thread from when I moved to Madison. This tank is mainly dedicated to Acros and Acans.

Background: During October 2013 I learned that I had AEFW. I have always dipped every coral that went into my tank, but it still got through. 3 months of all of my acros in QT, dipping weekly for 8 weeks, and tossing a lot of dead skeletons and I was through it. After that, I didn't put anything back and left my entire tank sitting on frag racks since I knew I might be moving in a couple months. My fiancee got a residency at the VA up here and we moved from Durham, NC to Madison. The reef spent 3 days sitting in 2 styrafoam coolers in the cab of a giant U-Haul running off of an air pump and tiny heaters plugged into an inverter. My DT cracked in the move, so the reef spent another week in my 10g QT tank. Anyway, most everything is finally glued down and recovering nicely. My LPS got pretty beat up during the move fighting with each other and a lost a couple of small acro frags, but I made it through mostly in one piece. I've been here a month and so far things are recovering, coloring back up quickly, and growth is exploding once again.

Setup: This is a 20g Tall tank that is lit by a Radion Pro gen 2 with the wide angle TIRs and gets flow from an ancient MP10 running on reef crest at 85-90%. It has an HOB overflow that empties into a 10g sump that has a sock, a Bubble Magus NAC 3.5+ skimmer and a BRS GFO reactor. ATO is done through an Avast Marine, temperature is controlled via a Ranco, and dosing is done with a Bubble Magus doser. The GFO is offline for the forseeable future because my nutrients are just too low and I don't like pale acros.

Here is a FTS from a couple weeks ago at night:

And here is my little acan garden. All of these started as 2-3 polyp frags and most still have their frag plugs underneath. You can see how badly things to beat up in the move and there are a few polyps missing here and there:

Sorry for the bad color on the acans - the radions were above 20k and my camera can only white balance so far before things get out of whack - 20k is about that limit.
jservedio

Re: Jack's 20g Tall

Postby BraenDead on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:26 pm

Looks great! I can't help but feel that hearing "Ancient MP10" sounds weird, as I still consider these a "new" pump. I guess I need to start evolving quicker!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Re: Jack's 20g Tall

Postby jservedio on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:41 am

BraenDead wrote:Looks great! I can't help but feel that hearing "Ancient MP10" sounds weird, as I still consider these a "new" pump. I guess I need to start evolving quicker!

Bob

I hear you on that - but there are MP10s over 10 years old now - mine is probably right around 5!
jservedio

Return to Tank Builds and Tank Profiles