40B Rebuild

Threads that cover tank builds or tank progress for MARS members

Moderator: BraenDead

40B Rebuild

Postby lesli050 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:44 pm

started a rebuild of my tank (40B with 20L sump) after i had a ATO overflow issue. I decided i wanted to place a tarp under the tank to protect the floor from minor drips and splashed and try to improve the filtration in my sump. At the same time i figured i would change up my rockwork and and sand to the bottom. I have been running my tank barebottom for 3 years until now and i really miss the look of sand. Also I really like diamond gobys and wanted to have sand so i could have one.

Anyway I have been cycling the tank for a week now and I'm not sure i like the way i set up the sump. My skimmer has been producing lots of microbubbles that it never produced before. The water level is higher than before but i thought i could stop any bubbles by adding baffles. On my last sump i just had a very short 4 inch baffle coming from the bottom to prevent any rubble rock from getting too near the return outlet, and i never had an issue with the microbubbles before.

I have a t coming off my return going to two outlets with stop valves. I am planning on adding a 10 gallon fuge to the system and supplying it with one of these outlets and the other is for either a UV unit or some type of media reactor. also there is a T that sends water back into the sup that I don't want going to the display so i can fine tune flow in the display without ever throttling my pump.

SO does anyone have any advise on preventing the microbubbles? Or do you see any problems with the tank? Should i lower the baffles of the sump? Please share your thoughts.
lesli050

Re: 40B Rebuild

Postby lesli050 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:00 pm

I decided to tweak the sump a little. The water level in it when running was too high and after i turned the power off the backflow almost filled the sump. This normally wouldn't be a problem for me, but i want to still add a remote refugium to grow some macro and it would likely overflow if the power went off with that added. I'm making the baffles shorter and adding one to improve the removal of bubbles.

I tested my tank parameters with my new Red Sea test kits. My old API test kits were expired and i was never sure how accurate they were in the first place. i think my cycle is complete but I'm not sure
I started the tank almost 2 weeks age and have had a shrimp floating in it for 1.5 weeks. The sand is all new but the 40-50 lbs of rock was all alive from my old tank, kept alive in a garbage can with a heater and circulating pump. Here are my measurements

Salinity 1.025
NH3/NH4: 0
NO3: .025
NO2: 10
pH: 7.8
dKA 8.4
Ca : 395
Mg: 1180

Is my cycle done? I know the calcium is on the low end and my Magnesium is low. Otherwise i think my cycle may be done. Any thoughts? Can i put a fish into the tank? Should i move over my two clowns from the old tank? They are a a bit old, I've had them for around 5 years, and they were already a sizable pair when i got them from the store. The female prior to breaking down the old tank was losing some of her color and breathing rapidly, but she seems to have recovered a bit in the smaller tank with a UV sterilizer hooked up. Is it safe to move them over? Should I wait longer to move over my coral, or just put those in right away?
lesli050

Re: 40B Rebuild

Postby ice fish on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:57 pm

as long as nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia read 0 then do a quick water change. dose a small amount of ammonia in it and see how long it takes to make it go to 0. if it goes within a day you should be done.
ice fish

Return to Tank Builds and Tank Profiles