20g IM build

Threads that cover tank builds or tank progress for MARS members

Moderator: BraenDead

20g IM build

Postby Hawaiianreefer on Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:40 pm

Hey everyone, my name is Mike and I am new to the forum as well as the hobby of reefing. Like many in the hobby I was instantly addicted and have been enjoying it ever since. I thought id share part of my adventure with a new build as well as get any advice and suggestions from y'all.

So, Im currently Working on my 20g IM build thats been up and running for about a month now. I started off with about 20 ibs of live rock/sand. So far I'm running 2 IM filter socks with chemi pure blue and chemi pure elite for filtration. 100w aqueon pro heater and a hydor nano power head with the stock return pump. For lighting I have a a150 kessil ocean blue.

So right now I'm waiting on a Jebao RW-4 which should arrive this week. I decided to go with the Jebao because of the budget and I think it will be plenty of flow for this nano tank... I want to upgrade my filtration with maybe a media rack and also implement a skimmer or media reactor into the system (any recommendations?). Unfortunately, I don't have the space or knowledge to plumb and run a sump (maybe down the road) so everything needs to fit in the back compartment of the tank. As for lighting, I would like to upgrade to the AI Prime which I think would be plenty of light for what I want to stock the tank with. Eventually, Id like to get an ATO and was looking at the Tunze nano because of the great reviews. For automation, The apex neptune would be a great addition but the reef keeper lite is more in my price range. Anyone know how they compare?

Current Livestock:
Shrimp and goby pair
Pajama cardinal
Chalk basslet
serpent star
some scarlet hermits and turbo snails
*Id like to add some black snowflake clowns and a Nem once the tank is more established.

Corals:
Some Zoa frags with a blue mushroom and a torch coral.

So thats what I have going on so far, Will update as I add to the tank. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
20g IM Fusion, 29g Biocube
Hawaiianreefer

Re: 20g IM build

Postby Hawaiianreefer on Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:12 pm

So I went ahead and installed the new, AI Prime. Amazing little light! I Also installed a IM media basket on the left overflow and a IM ghost protein skimmer on the right side; then more recently Installed a Tunze nano ATO, and Ehiem feeding station and feeder. 8)
So far tank is running smoothly and fish and corals are adjusting well to the changes :D
Hawaiianreefer

Postby Hawaiianreefer on Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:07 pm

update

Last edited by Hawaiianreefer on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hawaiianreefer

Postby salmonshutters on Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:26 am

I like to use photobucket and then use the img button to paste the link into the post. The pictures are usually to scale then. It looks like your off to a good start. :D
salmonshutters

Postby Hawaiianreefer on Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:06 pm

Thanks for the info! :D Yes Im quite pleased with this build so far. I will check out photo bucket and get some better pictures.
Hawaiianreefer

Postby Hawaiianreefer on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:21 pm

Camera phone doesn't pick up the lighting well. #-o

Hawaiianreefer

Postby starboard on Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:32 pm

Looking really Nice!
starboard

Return to Tank Builds and Tank Profiles