700 build thread

Threads that cover tank builds or tank progress for MARS members

Moderator: BraenDead

700 build thread

Postby skanderson on Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:58 pm

i figured that now that the tank is in my basement this is as good a time as any to start this thread. pictures have been taken but i need a refresher course in how to post them on the site. i put the new pics on my photoshop account but never seem to be able to link up to them correctly. is there a size limit in how big of pics you can post here? anyway pics will come as soon as i can put them on and the build will slowly progress. lots to do and i dont think i will even have water in the tank until midfebuary. the plan is for lighting to be 5 400 watt mh with led actinic supplementation. i think i am buying a sro 8000 ext for the skimming. i will be running gfo and carbon in BRS reactors and will also use a biopellet BRS reactor. i have a reeflo hammerhead and dart for return pumps and will be running a couple vortech 40s, 4 controllable koralias of some size, and some other flow pump that i havent decided on yet. again pics will come as soon as i can figure out how to post them. steve
skanderson

Re: 700 build thread

Postby Landon on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:43 pm

skanderson wrote:i figured that now that the tank is in my basement this is as good a time as any to start this thread. pictures have been taken but i need a refresher course in how to post them on the site. i put the new pics on my photoshop account but never seem to be able to link up to them correctly. is there a size limit in how big of pics you can post here? anyway pics will come as soon as i can put them on and the build will slowly progress. lots to do and i dont think i will even have water in the tank until midfebuary. the plan is for lighting to be 5 400 watt mh with led actinic supplementation. i think i am buying a sro 8000 ext for the skimming. i will be running gfo and carbon in BRS reactors and will also use a biopellet BRS reactor. i have a reeflo hammerhead and dart for return pumps and will be running a couple vortech 40s, 4 controllable koralias of some size, and some other flow pump that i havent decided on yet. again pics will come as soon as i can figure out how to post them. steve

Sounds like an exciting project. That skimmer will be a beast.

I've been using a free account on Photobucket for picture posting for years. Makes things very simple.
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby bradhass87 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:28 pm

the way that you post pictures here is to use the img link, copy it from your photoshop account and paste it on here. The website itself won't allow pictures to be up loaded.
Image Two Hobbies, going fast and playing with saltwater, both very expensive...
bradhass87

Postby NVCichlids on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:19 pm

The website does allow you to post pictures directly on it. When doing a message, underneath the save draft preview and submit is the options and upload attachment. Choose the upload attachment and just select the file you want. It only allows 3 pictures that way, but if you do not have photobucket or an account like that, there is an option (I have photobucket but that website never works correctly on my home computer so I just use the upload attachment.) I think the size limit per picture is 2kb?

I look forward to seeing this tank. It sounds like its going to be a lagoon.

Do you plan to have it against a wall, in the wall, as a penninsula or what?
-Nate
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>
NVCichlids

Postby skanderson on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:28 pm

it will be 2 sides viewable and my desk will sit up against about half of it. cheap desk at first then after the stand is completed, or maybe along with the stand, i will have a nice desk made to custom fit up against it.
skanderson

Postby skanderson on Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:06 pm

ok trying to put up pics now. first 3 are of the tank room. i tried to fix what was wrong with my old tank room for my 300, too dark not enough outlets, no sink, and no counter. so here goes with my pic attempt.
tank room and tank move in 001-400.jpg
tank room and tank move in 001-400.jpg (12.59 KiB) Viewed 2873 times
tank room and tank move in 002-400.jpg
tank room and tank move in 002-400.jpg (8.4 KiB) Viewed 2873 times
tank room and tank move in 003-400.jpg
tank room and tank move in 003-400.jpg (9.2 KiB) Viewed 2873 times
skanderson

Postby NVCichlids on Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:09 pm

pictures turned out nice. What are the dimensions of the tank int he picture? ( I assume a frag tank?)
-Nate
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>
NVCichlids

Postby skanderson on Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:14 pm

ok now pics of the tank in place. for scale im in it with my daughter cleaning up the glass. as with my previous glass cages tank the tank is solid but needed a couple hours of clean up to remove drips and smudges of silicone.
tank room and tank move in 007-400.jpg
tank room and tank move in 007-400.jpg (13.53 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
tank room and tank move in 006-400.jpg
tank room and tank move in 006-400.jpg (11.01 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
tank room and tank move in 005-400.jpg
tank room and tank move in 005-400.jpg (13.84 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
oh well got those 3 in the wrong order but you all can get the idea. the top of the tank is a 68 inches so it will be at the same height as my cube that is next to it. going to have to experiment around to see what type of mh reflectors i want over the tank. i have lumenbright minis over my 300 but i dont think they have quite enough spread for a 36 inch wide tank. i bought a used large lumenbright but the thing is so big im not sure i can get some led actinic supplementation around it. i will try to keep you all updated. thanks for helping me figure out how to post pics again.
skanderson

Postby Conrad25 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:09 pm

That tank is just amazing. Wowser is that thing huge..... what are you planning on putting in it or what type of reef or?
300G DD Starfire Display, 365G Sump with downdraft skimmers
Conrad25

Location: Milwaukee, WI (1 minute away from WI state fair grounds)

Postby Sula on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:31 am

Very cool - LOVE the picture with the two of you inside....priceless!
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Postby Rueg on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:36 am

Very cool. That thing must weigh a ton.
Rueg

Postby skanderson on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:22 am

it doesnt weigh a ton, only 1400 and some pounds. of course that is the empty weight. hiring movers to get in into my basement was the best money ive ever spent. the frag tank in the first set of pics is 30 by 90 inches and 12 inches deep. that will be plumbed into the system when it is ready. i plan on making this a mixed reef with alot of lps in it. my asfur and regal angels in my other tank pick at most lps so they have been relegated to the frag tank for about a year now. i dont know if i will be able to resist putting any angels into this tank but that is my goal. well except for a trio of some genicanthus angels and maybe a trio of potters. will probably have about 6 tangs in the tank with my current barriene tang being the biggest. will be looking for a black tang and a nice maculiceps. i also plan on having alot of wrasses and 2 groups of anthias. i want to try to avoid the look of alot of huge fish that seems to make big tanks look smaller to me. hopefully next week i can get most of the background done. i will be using flat marco rock to cover the overflows, the left side wall, and a small amount of the back wall. this should let me hide my powerheads which i cant stand looking at in a tank. then i will be making a light box behind the tank to try to get that far off into the sea look. unfortunately that means i will have to keep 3 sides of the tank clean which is always a pain. off to work now more later.
skanderson

Postby cr8signs on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:24 pm

Seeing the two of you inside the tank really puts perspective on the size! I'm sure it will be awesome you get it all together.
cr8signs

Postby gammer_100 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:13 am

I feel a little tank envy comming on! :D
Travis
gammer_100

Postby SeeingGreen on Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:17 pm

Sk,

Tony, from Tand Z has a achilles tang in his tank... as a $0.02, i hink it beats your black tang :) Still a pretty fish though.
SeeingGreen

Next

Return to Tank Builds and Tank Profiles