Free Cheeto!!!!

Buy, Sell, Trade, Extra Parts? List it here. Reef/tank-related only, please.

Moderator: BraenDead

Free Cheeto!!!!

Postby snorulz on Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:14 pm

I need to get rid of some cheeto. I would rather not throw it away so anyone who comes to my house to get it can have some for free. I am not willing to ship, i don't feel like messing with the shipping and if i did it would not be free anymore. I live in stoughton, 19 miles south of madison. I do drive to madison daily so could possibly meet there.
snorulz

Postby SilverSurfer on Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:33 am

i will be intersted in some soon, after i finish workin on the ac300 conversion to fuge...
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby snorulz on Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:26 am

let me know when you want it and its yours
snorulz

Postby snorulz on Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:54 pm

anyone else want some, i have plenty
snorulz

Postby TheNewGuy on Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:43 am

hello im new at this tank stuff. what is cheeto? and what does it do for my tank? would i need any? i just started and dont have that many things in it .i have a 38g tank
TheNewGuy

Postby snorulz on Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:34 am

cheeto is short for a much longer name that i can't spell. Cheeto is a macro algae used to export nutrients and lower nitrates. You normally keep it in a refugium. I had a bad algae problem in my tank which is why i put in a refugium. I don't know if you would need any in your tank. I am sure i will have a refugium on every tank i have from now on though, they work really well to lower nitrates and keep them low.
snorulz

Postby Sula on Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:56 am

I'm interested, and have to drive to Janesville on Monday for work - could I swing by on Monday to pick some up? If you're gone during the day, maybe it would be okay in a baggie outdoors? (interesting fodder for your neighbors to talk about....)
Sula

Postby jbartig on Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:44 am

TheNewGuy wrote:hello im new at this tank stuff. what is cheeto? and what does it do for my tank? would i need any? i just started and dont have that many things in it .i have a 38g tank

Your aquarium is a closed system. Anything you add to it, stays there until you remove it. Food is an excellent example. The food you add to your tank is consumed by your fish and other critters. They break it down and expell waste. This waste may be consumed by other critters and broken down further. Eventually you are left with waste nutrients like nitrates. Algae feeds on nitrates and your corals and other invertebrates find it toxic.

You need to find ways to export these excess nutrients from your tank before they build up to dangerous levels causing algae blooms/outbreaks or death of your invertebrates. Some of the common methods used to export nutrients from a tank include:

water changes
    vacuuming up uneaten food and other waste
    protein skimming
    macro algae harvesting
    deep sand beds (some people may disagree with this one)

It is good to use more than one technique.

Some aquarium keepers will grow macro algae either in their tanks or more commonly in a refugium tank. The idea is that the macro algae consumes plant nutrients (nitrates, phosphates, potasium) as it grows. Periodically, you harvest some of the macro algae and toss it in the trash (or give it to fellow reefers who need some). You have just removed some of the nutrients from your tank before they could be used by other less desirable algae (hair, slime, etc).

Chaetomorpha or spaghetti algae is a commonly used macro algae (called "cheeto" in the posts above). It grows in a twisted ball of spaghetti like strands that looks kind of like a brillo cleaning pad. It doesn't appear to be invasive in the reef tank and doesn't put down any roots like other macro algae does. Because of these characteristics, it is one of the preferred macros to use in a reef system.

Jeff
jbartig

Location: Brooklyn, WI - about 15 miles directly south of Madison

Postby SilverSurfer on Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:33 pm

thanx for the explanation Jeff, I am working on a fuge right now for the 10g nano i have i really need to get something in there to help breakdown nitrates...only have some sort of grass like macroalgae growing on the rocks now.
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby Sula on Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:39 pm

BigDaddy I'll be interested in how your conversion goes, I did that to a Skilter I had laying around and it worked out great. Now I'm on the hunt for an AC500 or maybe one of the "kits" they have on eBay to try the same thing.....
Sula

Postby snorulz on Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:33 pm

Sula, on monday i will not be home from 10:00 to 4:15, i have class in madison, other than that i will be home. I can leave it out for you if you will be by when im not here. Let me know. Thanks-Luke
snorulz

Postby snorulz on Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:51 pm

Its time to get rid of some more, anyone need any?
E-mail me at snorulz@charter.net if you want a response.
snorulz

Return to Buy, Sell, Trade