damaged 120 fs cheap

Buy, Sell, Trade, Extra Parts? List it here. Reef/tank-related only, please.

Moderator: BraenDead

damaged 120 fs cheap

Postby boonbee on Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:09 pm

Hi all,
I have a 120 rr w/ central overflows that has a badly cracked bottom. Anyone interested in the tank it's yours for 50.00 obo provided you move it. Thanks, Nancy
boonbee

Postby Toddah on Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:32 pm

what are the tank measurements?
I am interested in the tank.
And I can come and get it.
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby Ereefic on Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:50 pm

TODD WANTS ANOTHER TANK!!! TODD WANTS ANOTHER TANK!!! :P :lol:
Ereefic
Site Admin

OH NO! I did not catch the Janesville 2footitus

Postby Toddah on Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:01 am

I just can't resist buying something broken and fixing it. (The Charlie brown Christmas tree syndrom) Actually I have thought about going to a 24 X 24 since I got mine thinking the added depth would be great fo aquascaping. and starting with a broken tank would give me license to cut drill chop to my hearts content and not worry about ruining anything very valuable.
I have some new ideas about water distribution and would like a place to try them out and swapping from my tank to this tank is not a big change in tank accessories just space design.
Besides I am just a simple government employee and cannot afford olympic sized box's of water on my paycheck.
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby boonbee on Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:52 pm

Hi todd,
The dimensions are 48 x 24 x 24. Shel might be coming by to look at it tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens.
boonbee

Postby Toddah on Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:31 pm

Wassup with this????
Toddah

Postby moujon on Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:33 pm

Checking into glass replacement price & availability in the morning- should know tomorrow afternoon if I'm taking it.
Shel
moujon

Postby spbreeder on Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:08 pm

:lol: I thought you were getting rid of tanks. *under my breath*addict addict addict :lol:
spbreeder

Postby moujon on Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:32 pm

I was/am. Sold 3 smaller ones this weekend. Now I need to replace the capacity with something bigger. It's that or we have to filet the goldfish (it's 14")!

Got 3 or 4 more to get cleaned up this week.

I even passed up a bargain on a fancy wave tank- aren't you proud of me?
Shel
moujon

Postby boonbee on Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:20 pm

Shelly decided not to take on the project so Todd has the next crack at it. :lol: We started our new 120 and I've never appreciated the smell of decay before. I don't think we'll add a fish for a couple months yet. Nancy
boonbee

Postby boonbee on Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:53 pm

It's got a new home - yeah! Thanks Todd.
boonbee

bottom replacement

Postby meisen on Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:15 pm

Todd, I am really interested to hear/see how you do this. I have contemplated doing it before but the LFS really scared the crap out of me with their doom and gloom prognosis. I have built tanks before but it seems to me a repair is actually harder to pull off.
meisen

Tank repair

Postby Toddah on Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:26 am

Well, I spent about 2 hours disassembling the bottom from the tank the other night.
I first took a filet kniffe and cut the silicone seal on the bottom to seperate the plastic trim from the tank. It was only connected on the bottom not the sides also.
Then attempted to cut the seal from the tank bottom away from the rest of the sidewalls of the tank. Problem 1 was the area between the sheets of glass was so thin I could not get any sort of tool between them to slice the silicone. Solution was to don the appropiate saftey gear saftey glasses and gloves and get out my hitech hammer and have at the tank bottom. about 1/2 an hour later I had a tank with only 4 walls.
Current dilema is when I tried to order glass, the shop told me they can get 1/2" OR 3/4" glass but not 5/8" as was on it originally. I am researching substitute materials or a combining of a 1/4 sheet and the 1/2 to achive the thickness required. The 1/4 and 1/2 can be cut local from existing stock but the 3/4 must come from some other location and is Considerability more expensive.

My plan is to remove the fillet joints in all the side seams leaving the actual seal surface intact then stick the new bottom on and replace the plactic then flip the tank back upright and fillet weld all the seams on the inside with a new layer of silicone. My thinking is the seams will hold the tank together and the fillet silicone will seal over the entire inside to renew the seal.

BUT I am only making this up as I go along so I don't claim any expertise in this field, I am just sort of a learn as you go kind of guy so I am making it up as I go along.
Toddah

Postby BraenDead on Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:08 pm

Sounds like a good fun project, I hope everything works out well for you!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby boonbee on Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:46 pm

Hi Todd,
What's standard for AGA? If you want me to ask the former owner any questions, let me know. It's fun hearing about the update. Willl you keep the center overflow? Nancy
boonbee

Next

Return to Buy, Sell, Trade