Emerald crabs

Buy, Sell, Trade, Extra Parts? List it here. Reef/tank-related only, please.

Moderator: BraenDead

Emerald crabs

Postby moujon on Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:32 am

I'm debating about getting a couple of small emeralds for the tank. Are they really that good with hair algae outbreaks? I've got a couple of rocks that have sprouted. I've been picking it off and the little hermits try- but I'd like it gone. I just don't want to lose any polyps to them.
Shel
moujon

Postby mfd78 on Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:04 am

I got 3, along with a tang to help out in my tank and they cleaned everything out. They were eating within 30 seconds of hitting the rocks! I had to give one away and supplement the other two with some food once in a while - they worked too good in my tank!

I've got a very young tank so it might just be one of those "phases" but everything is good right now.
mfd78

Postby moujon on Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:21 am

Thanks Steve.
I've got the 2 purple tangs and one yellow- they only pick at the small growth. I've got a couple of spots that look like shrubs- they don't touch those. And of course, that growth is around the yellow polyps and into the GSP. Guess I better find some emeralds.
Shel
moujon

Postby mfd78 on Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:05 pm

Do you have any Turbo's in there? I've had good luck with those too although they do push things around a bit. I know Matt had an algae problem and recently added some turbo's and he said yesterday they've put quite a dent in the algae.

Good luck!
mfd78

Postby moujon on Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:24 pm

I've got a pretty good cleanup crew- just added more snails and blue hermits. This stuff is in spots that I'm guessing the Turbo's can't get to easily. They do a great job where they can reach.
Shel
moujon

Emerald Crabs

Postby Toddah on Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:09 pm

In my Green Hair Algae growing days I had 2 or 3 Emeralds and they would eat the young fresh GHA but never would touch the older longer stuff. I think they are like us in that some of them will eat anything and others are like kids "I don't like it" :D
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby nellie54914 on Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:57 pm

We have 4 emerald crabs in our 75g, we've had a couple ocurrences of hair algea outbreaks and they barely touched it either time, didn't make a dent. They did eat up our bubble algea we had when we first got the rock. Our hair algea cleared up after we added turbos and a bunch more hermits. May have been a coincidence though, it flared up after we got new lights in March and maybe was just the natural progression that we got it under control finally.
nellie54914

Return to Buy, Sell, Trade