New to the hobby

Buy, Sell, Trade, Extra Parts? List it here. Reef/tank-related only, please.

Moderator: BraenDead

New to the hobby

Postby sslak on Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:16 am

I'm looking to buy a 55 or 75 gallon setup. I want to do a reef tank with overflow and a wet/dry filter. I know I also will need a pump. What other equipment will I need? I'm looking to keep costs down but i don't want to have to replace equipment later because it is inadaquite.
Steve
sslak

Postby moujon on Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:39 pm

Hi Steve- welcome!

I don't think you'll find a 55 reef ready. If its RR you want, you'll have to go 75 or custom. If you do want to go with a 55, I have two 55g setups for sale. Tanks, stands, and lighting available. Very reasonably priced- need to clear out the garage!
Shel
moujon

Postby causeofhim on Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:50 pm

Shel's a great person to deal with. :wink:
causeofhim

Postby moujon on Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:58 pm

Thanks Matt! The goldies are still in the stock tank- along with some extra African cichlids. One of these days I've got to get them into a pond!
Shel
moujon

Postby BraenDead on Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:30 pm

They do make 55 RR's (I have one) and I've seen a few for sale, but they definately aren't very common. Overflow boxes certainly work well with a non RR tank.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Mark on Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:32 pm

I'll likely have a 40 breeder home-made RR w/ sump available around mid-October ... but it's still running yet :)

Moved some coral to my basement tank today, so the migration is going - yet I've got to take time to make sure the new basement tank is as stable as it seems.

---

As for what to get - hold out for the system you're really looking for shows up. I looked/waited for a 75, found a 58g RR that I love.
Best of all, got it with tank, stand, canopy/lights, sump, pump ... everything but the skimmer. Used can be a great deal ... while I upgraded the lights, DIY'ed the canopy, upgraded the sump pump, replaced the physical tank [scratching] ... I saved enough to do that by buying used :lmao: but loved the process.

Personally, unless you're only looking to do fish-only - don't get a wet/dry. Just get a plain sump [baffles are easy enough to install] and some sort of pump. For my 40 I used a 38g tank, with baffles + submersible pump ... works like a charm and way cheaper.

Save that money for a good skimmer, once you research the heck out of that. IMO the lighting and the skimmer are easiest to spend a lot and still want more.

Anyway - come to some meetings, see some setups. Keep an eye around and with patience you'll find your perfect 75g RR. Or, be impatient and full steam ahead [what I know best :lol:]
Mark

Thanks for the info

Postby sslak on Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:21 am

I do think I will be going with a sump. It just wasn't made an option at the LFS i went to. I won't be spending money immediately, I was looking to do this around Christmas time or a bit after (perhaps tax refund). I'm currently looking at buying a car.

Shel - I am interested in that used equipment if you still have it when I'm actually ready to spend the cash I'll look you up.
Steve
sslak

Postby Ereefic on Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:18 am

I would definately get a 75 gal. over a 55 gal. if you can. You'll get a little more 'front to back' room than you would with the 55 gal. We started with a 55 gal. and it worked fine, but after going to a tank with more depth (front to back)(from 12" to 18", then 24"), you'll be much better off in your ability to aquascape the tank. Did that all make sense? :)
Ereefic
Site Admin

Return to Buy, Sell, Trade