"Ultra Clam-o-rama Extravaganza!" - Animart

Buy, Sell, Trade, Extra Parts? List it here. Reef/tank-related only, please.

Moderator: BraenDead

"Ultra Clam-o-rama Extravaganza!" - Animart

Postby Devin Edmonds on Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:39 am

We got in another large order of clams at Animart on Thursday. Shane asked me to post a message here again. There is a pretty sweet tear drop Maxima, I brought home a nice little blue crocea last night, quite a few other good ones as well.

Prices from memory:

Small crocea - $25
Large crocea - $30
Squamosa - $40?
Tear drop maxima - $40
Derasa - $40

If you want to double check the prices you can call Animart at 608-242-2140 Hope to see you there soon,

Devin Edmonds
http://www.amphibiancare.com
Devin Edmonds

Postby BraenDead on Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:00 am

Thanks for the info Devin - sounds like a nice deal - I might have to stop by and see what's left this evening.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby beergeek on Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:08 am

I got a Small Crocea last time this was posted. It is doing GREAT! It has even grown a bit, and all in a tank with 48W power compact. It is as they say Happy as a clam. I will try to take a Pic and post it.
Beergeek
46G Oceanic Bowfront
beergeek

Postby SilverSurfer on Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:35 am

Nice deals, I would love a clam when my 29g is up. can they go under 130w PC's? Or would i really need a MH on there?
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby Mark on Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:41 am

IMO, Maxima and Crocea really need MH ... but the others would significantly benefit from more intense light.

Do note, small clams are less able to meet their metabolic needs through photosynthesis - feeding should be considered for them [mostly phyto].

Personally, I've steered clear of small clams given the difficulty I've seen others have keeping them over the long term.

Also, since I got my Crocea a couple years ago ... I just don't have space for more when the one I have will live many many more years.

If getting a clam - also consider growth. Derasa and Squamosa tend to grow quite rapidly when thriving ... and can both get over 12" [worthy consideration if you've got a small tank].
Mark

Postby SilverSurfer on Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:46 am

wow, they get big, feb. i plan on setting up my 125g reef with multiple MH's :D

Here's something i dont think i've ever read on them, how do they reproduce? i have absoluetly no clue.
SilverSurfer

Postby Mark on Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:51 am

No reproduction in aquaria.

I personally would be wary moving them much - while I've managed to move mine a couple times within the tank ... I guess I'd be quite careful about the stability, health, etc on the new tank + consider waiting until that's thriving first. [just opinion]

Daniel Knop's `Giant Clams' book is probably the book to read about the world of clams [including their use as food]. Quite a good book, some is oddly translated from German ... but the information is great and it covers all the bases [selection, health, ID, reproduction, etc etc]. I benefitted greatly from whomever lent me their copy a year or so ago to read. [might have been a WRS member]
Mark

Postby SilverSurfer on Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:54 am

Cool thanx i'll have to see if library has that book or ebay.

Yea good idea, i am trying black tahiton moon sand in the 29g, from pics i seen just shows corals stand out more.

Clams rule! :D
SilverSurfer

Postby Devin Edmonds on Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:31 pm

I got a Small Crocea last time this was posted. It is doing GREAT!

Glad to hear it's doing well! I always like to get an update about how an animal does after it goes to a new tank.

If getting a clam - also consider growth. Derasa and Squamosa tend to grow quite rapidly when thriving ... and can both get over 12"

That's a very good point that is often over-looked, and something that should be carefully considered before purchasing either of the above mentioned species.
Devin Edmonds

Postby Mark on Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:51 pm

Yup, I've seen it happen.

Having been to two of the MARS meetings at Warren's house ... I saw what 12 months can do to a Derasa [3" or so to 8+" by my estimate].

My favorite clam, but I doubt I'll ever be able to have one [because of size]
Mark

Postby stevenliu on Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:18 pm

yeah, I went tonight and got one of the small crocea 2". There are three others left but they all got some nip or tears on the mantle. The most colorful ones are all on hold already (gotta go sooner next time). There are a few larger croceas 6"(electic blue or purple) and maximas 2"(tan, brown) left, however the gills are turned away from the glass so I can't see if they are gaping so I didn't want to risk them. The Derasas (tan, brown) are 6" give or take and some of them are really nice. I'd say this is really a good deal. Thanks for informing us!
stevenliu

Postby beergeek on Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:44 pm

Here is a Pic of my clam.

It was kept in a Stock JBJ Nanocube, but was kept High in the tank right under the lights.
Beergeek
46G Oceanic Bowfront
beergeek

Postby spbreeder on Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:38 pm

Meisen....I saw the two you have on hold. Beautiful.
Denise
spbreeder

Postby SilverSurfer on Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:32 am

Just beautiful! awesome pic BTW.
SilverSurfer

Postby cpandrewschmidt on Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:55 pm

I got 2 Crocea's last time and a Teardrop Maxima this time. All have been doing well. Great deal!!!

Andrew
180 gallon mixed reef
cpandrewschmidt

Return to Buy, Sell, Trade