Thoughts on a `featured tank'

Information about the website, forums, etcetera

Moderator: BraenDead

Thoughts on a `featured tank'

Postby Mark on Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:11 pm

While many online boards have a Tank of the Month [a nice concept] ... I guess I feel that it can easily become a competitive thing - not what I want out of my reef club. I enjoy this club because this isn't competition other than to share as much knowledge, frags, and good times as we can.

But ... I have been thinking how nice it would be to `feature' the tank that will be seen in person at the next meeting. Or the last meeting, I dunno.

If just a single picture, a short writeup of the equipment and other things ... might be nice to recognize that tank, enjoy it's beauty, and allow for questions to be asked. I'm sure some folks will have little to say, some a lot ... sounds good to me either way.

But it might be a nice way to slowly feature everyone's tanks, and do it in conjunction with a meeting at their house so everyone's good photos of the tank, questions/answers, etc can all go together.

If just to allow everyone to know a little about the tank ... perhaps start it a couple days before the meeting, to let people read up on the tank size/basics and yet post the beautiful pics they take too?

I'm just thinking out loud, really ... but if associated with the member hosting the meeting, such a `featured tank this month' can be both non-competitive and likely quite informative. I've learned a lot from people in this club, have a whole lot left to learn, too :)

Others thoughts?

Timing may be important, some folks who are starting might not want to feature their tank ... everyone's different. I think we should allow folks to `opt out' if they so desire ... I'd rather have more people in this club hosting meetings/posting here/coming to meetings.

Anyway, just tossing out ideas. Critique as you will.

[Eric/Bob ... if you think this should move to General Discussion, you the man ... go ahead]
Mark

Postby Ereefic on Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:59 pm

Sounds like a fine idea to me. Although Bob would have to do all the work cause I don't know anything about adding in stuff like that. :)
Ereefic
Site Admin

instead of a tank of the month

Postby stevenliu on Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:01 pm

instead of tank of the month, we can just have a featured creature, like a fish, anemone, coral, etc, everyone who has that animal can post their picture and post as much information and experiences with the creature in reference for those who doesn't have one and wish to have one. What do you guys think? It'll be a nice sharing and learning experience.
stevenliu

Postby BraenDead on Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:06 am

I think this sounds like a good idea - doing either a featured tank or, if preferred, we could always do featured creature. One thing that I think is somewhat intriguing is since the group is smaller, we will be able to revisit tanks after a year or whenever and watch as various tanks evolve. Living with a tank, it is much more difficult to notice the changes as they occur slowly than when observed from afar.

I would gladly put the time into putting the pages up if members do not mind taking pictures and providing some information.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Mark on Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:17 am

The `creatures we keep' threads sound like a great idea.

Whether monthly, or weekly ... it is a good idea. I'd think that might be something we could sort of `self-organize'. Get a thread going, ask Bob or Eric to `sticky' it for a little.

Would be nice to tie the science-end with the practicalities of keeping, get some nice pictures taboot. I know I've learned a bit about some of my livestock, stuff I wish I knew before.
Mark

keeping diary

Postby stevenliu on Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:52 pm

I don't know how many of you like photos but I am a photographer and I keep a photo diary of my fish tank. It is really cool if you take at least 1 picture a month and you can see all the progresses and changes in the tank, some make me proud, and some can be heart breaking. I think having pictures of our tanks and creatures are really nice to share with each other.
stevenliu

Featured tank of the month

Postby meisen on Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm

Any more thoughts on this? It was a pretty cool idea however the thread seems to have died.

I was hoping to see more shots of members tanks in the show your tank thread but not too many biters....
meisen

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:59 pm

i like both ideas. a featured creature really intrigues me!
my fish drink better then i do!

OceanNwisconsin

Postby stevenliu on Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:10 pm

We can put up a couple species a month and start voting!
stevenliu

Postby BraenDead on Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:53 am

I have started a thread in the MARS General forum with a poll voting for either featured tank or featured critter. If going featured critter, my concern would be figuring out who will provide the information/research/pictures of the critter in a way that does not violate copyright and which would not be plagiarism.

Hopefully we can continue this discussion here:

http://www.madisonreef.com/forum/viewto ... =5483#5483

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Return to Website Questions