Plasma, DLP, or LCD

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Plasma, DLP, or LCD

Postby therazorsedge on Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:13 pm

I am looking to get a new tv somewhere between 32-50inch. I really like the Plasma's because of their low profile and the ability to mount them on the wall, but i am open to any possibilities. Anyone have a preference or advise? Also, does anyone have a suggestion on a specific model or brand that they have heard good reveiews on or currently have??? Thanks for the help

Bob
therazorsedge

Postby Rueg on Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:48 pm

I really like the DLP TVs. Best bang for the buck in my opinion. I do not own one though. For deals check out techbargains.com
Be sure to get a TV with the new HDMI connections.
Rueg

LCD

Postby vogs82 on Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:12 pm

I just picked up a 32" LCD by Westinghouse. Not sure if GE still owns them or not. From my research DLP's are only good if you have HD with a DVI/HDMI hook up, otherwise the picture is not as good. I went with a LCD for 2 reasons 1)price and 2)lcd's are reliable. the two best LCD's are Sony and the Sharp Aquos. if you want to pay that money I would encourage you to do it. Otherwise the deal of the century is running at Rex tv in Janesville. I bought my TV for $979. This same tv is at Best buy for $1499 right now. The guy at BB told me to go buy it. He also said Westinghouse is a great TV for the money even at his price. I have been extremely happy with it, especially in HD.
matt
Tigers love pepper, they hate cinnamon.
vogs82

Postby Rueg on Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:30 pm

The reason I haven't liked LCD TVs is because of the streaking or pixel lag. Be sure to check out the pixel refresh rate on the TV. I wouldn't get anything over 8ms.
Rueg

Postby Bubbareefer on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:30 pm

I got one of the lcd projection 50" Cinima Hitchi tvs. It is nice and some what reasonable the only thing I don't like about it is when you view it from different angles the colors look funny. However when you look at it stright on the picture and color is dead on. I got it from american tv for around $2000. After reading about all the different problems with plasma and reg. lcd I decided to go with a projection lcd. So with that said IMO as long as you are not viewing from angles projection LCD is the way to go. Otherwise LCD flatscreen with a good prr.
Bubbareefer

Postby SilverSurfer on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:44 pm

We are looking at them right now trying to decide which one to buy as well. My folks have two plasma's made by Samsung, very good quality picture indeed on these! But from my understanding, i do gaming, PS2, Xbox etc, that on plasma's they leave a burning image on the screen when their plasma's? anyone else know more about it?
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby Bubbareefer on Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:04 pm

I do a little gaming to on the xbox and xbox360. I was steered away from the plasma tvs everywhere I went for that reason. Also from what I have heard over the past two years plasma tv's just don't last as long. LCD projection tv's you have to replace the bulb every 2-5 years depending on use but it is $200. Regular lcd I am unsure of the replacement parts but I have been told you can get 15-20 ears from them. Plasma about 5-10. The other part about plasma is the burn in image just doesn't happen from games but from HDMI dvd players to or an high res. programs. I don't know a ton about tv's but if you call crutchfield the will give you some good advice. One thing i would say is go with hitchi just because the make most of the parts for the other companies. Hope this helps out a little bit.
Bubbareefer

Postby therazorsedge on Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:59 pm

Well I did some more reaserch on this topic and found that Plasma usually have a average life of 60,000 hours. Some however are 40,000. Most sales people I have talked to said you really need to look at the "half life" of the unit. So, a 60,000 hour unit usually performs the best for 30,000 hours or 4 hours a day for about 15 years. That is pretty good. I am sure that i will want to replace the unit by then anyways :D As far as the DLP, most are rated for about 4-6,000 hours before you have to replace the bulb. I am almost tempted to go with the old school projection TV. Most of these TV's have just as good of picture but at half of the price. The one downsize of these TV's is their size. However, this has gotten a lot better over the years. I am thinking I am going with the normal projection TV. Half the price and still the great picture that I am looking for.
therazorsedge

Postby Bubbareefer on Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:57 am

Enjoy the TV it is a whole different class than the regular old tv, (if you are a gamer xbox 360 fight nights round 3 is on of the sickest games I have seen yet.) One thing I kicked myself in the ass for was buying and HDMI DVD player. The HD DVD players are coming out at the end of the April.
Bubbareefer

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:52 am

one word.... projector!

a couple more words... whatever you do definatly get something with 1080i HD and with DVI or HDMI inputs.
my fish drink better then i do!

OceanNwisconsin

Postby causeofhim on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:15 am

OceanNwisconsin wrote:one word.... projector!

a couple more words... whatever you do definatly get something with 1080i HD and with DVI or HDMI inputs.

Yeah! After seeing Marty's set-up, I'm sold.
causeofhim

Postby therazorsedge on Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:55 pm

Yes I would agree with you about the projectors. However, the room i am putting it in is not big enough for one. Maybe the next house :)
therazorsedge

Postby Rueg on Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:29 pm

Don't you need a really dark room for a projector?
Rueg

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:51 pm

well the darker the better. but if you have windows you can get blackout curtains that conceal all the light.. but i can watch the projector with all the lights on. There is just more contrast with the lights off. Ive come to the point where i dont think i will ever live with out a projector. nothing not even a 60" plasma with ambient lighting will compete with 110inch screen. :twisted:

OceanNwisconsin

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:53 pm

therazorsedge wrote:Yes I would agree with you about the projectors. However, the room i am putting it in is not big enough for one. Maybe the next house :)

my projector is mounted 12.5 feet from the screen with the first row of seating slightly in front of it. i think its perfect distance with the screen size, so with that being said i would say all you need is a room 13x12 to set one up.

OceanNwisconsin

Next

Return to Club Lounge