Plasma, DLP, or LCD

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Postby therazorsedge on Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:43 pm

I am currently deciding between a 42 in Panasonic Plasma and a Samsung 50" DLP. I am leaning towards the DLP because of the cost.
therazorsedge

Postby Carinya on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:39 am

I agree with what an earlier poster said with regard to DLP. Most bang for the buck. Technology's chaning so quickly in this area, doesn't make too much sense to sink a lot of money into a system, IMHO.
Carinya

happy with LCD

Postby Toddah on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:04 am

I have owned a 27 Westinghouse LCD for about 6 months and I love it. I am not into the large screens as my house was not really built to accomidate large entertainment systems. (Thank God)
I do have 3 projectors that I maintain for my work environment and they are great with one exception and that is the projector lamp assembly. the units I have avertise the lifespan to be about 2000 hours but we have seen a drastic reduction of output after about 1000 hours and they are over $500.00 to replace each time they go out.
The LCD I have has many input formats like Direct digital VGA from a computer, 2 seperate component inputs and regular composit and Svideo. I find it great for use with my Media Center computer, HDTV, DVD output
I have not seen ANY screen update issues on my unit at all. no bleeding or chunking like I used ot see on my old 36" system.

After doing alot of research on TV's I decided to buy this unit for the short term and watch the drastic changes that will happen in the next 18 months with HDTV becoming the standard and the convergence of PC and TV as well as almost every manufacturer dropping tube production and heading into flat panel of some sort.
Take a look at what has happened to computer monitor flat screen pricing in the last 14 months and watch for the same in the TV arena.
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby Rueg on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:32 am

I am waiting for the OLED (Organic LED) TVs to really hit the market. Probably be another year or two though.
Rueg

Postby Pete1399 on Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:17 pm

My understanding was that LCDs would be the future of TVs. The refresh rate as previously stated is the drawback for some. I opted for a standard Hitachi rear projection. It has been a good TV. I also ordered from Circuitcity.com and I had a very good experience there.
Pete
Pete1399

Previous

Return to Club Lounge