how do i clean rocks i find outside???

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

how do i clean rocks i find outside???

Postby reefready012 on Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:47 pm

what is the best way to sterilize rocks found outside???
would the chlorine from tap be enough???
reefready012

Postby spbreeder on Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:08 am

I would be leary of using rocks found outside in an aquarium unless you are absolutly sure of the chemical components. IMO, too much money invested to risk it for me.
Denise
spbreeder

Postby Rueg on Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:21 am

I would not use rocks from outside for saltwater tanks. If you were going to use them for freshwater that would probably be OK. But not for saltwater. No telling what the saltwater would do to them.
Rueg

Postby polaris192 on Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:07 pm

i've used rocks from oustide in fresh water before quit a bit. I scrubbed them good then baked them in the oven for about a half hour. As for salt water I never had tried. IMHO I would think it would be ok assuming the stones you are using don't contain any high levels of metals or something that will have rapid corrosion from the salt water. I guess know what you are putting in and start with a small amount and check your water. But than again you could just buy some and be safe! But between me and you I have seen rocks in the ocean before! :lol:
polaris192

Postby reefready012 on Thu May 04, 2006 12:23 am

Thanks for the info im going to put a large rock in a 10 gallon tester and test it out, i have a digiltal tds and ph reader, i think they were worth the money to never have to guess colors again. But anyways i'll see if the granet changes the water.
reefready012

Return to Club Lounge