Anyone interested in learning how to scuba?

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Anyone interested in learning how to scuba?

Postby smarceller on Wed May 24, 2006 9:34 am

Hey,
I'm going to sign up for scuba classes (open water - beginning) through the Hoofers club. Anyone want to join me? My SO is not so keen on the whole underwater thing but if that sounds like fun to any of you it would be fun to make mistakes in good company.:)
Here's the site:
http://www.hooferscuba.org/modules/tiny ... x.php?id=2

The summer class starts in July.
smarceller

Postby mfd78 on Wed May 24, 2006 10:04 am

Just to add my 2 cents...

If you like snorkling, you'll LOVE scuba! It is sooo much easier. You might not think that with all the equipment but it really isn't that bad. And you don't have to fight the waves or hold your breath.

I did my classroom stuff in Madison and finished up with my check dives in the Coral Sea and it was awesome! You won't regret it.

Have fun and see you under the waves - or in the tank...

Steve
mfd78

Postby tzenda on Thu May 25, 2006 3:58 pm

hey i may be interested in gettin certified, ive been thinkin of it for a few years now so it may be about time to actually do something about it. is there any advantage going with hoofers instead of going with somewhere else?
Your body is not a temple, its an amusment park. Enjoy your time there.
tzenda

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Thu May 25, 2006 7:29 pm

what he said^^
my fish drink better then i do!

OceanNwisconsin

Postby smarceller on Thu May 25, 2006 8:26 pm

Cool - I'm very excited - I've been wanting to try this for a while. Actually, I;ve never even been snorkeling, so that's great if this is easier. haha.
As for advantages with going with hoofers...they provide all the rental equipment (included in the fee of $310) which is something I have not found through other places (most will provide some equipment but requires the purchase of some items). For the price, it definately seems to be the best deal. If you're planning on buying equipment anyway this may not matter too much. The price also includes a year membership to Hoofers - which I think means you have access to all their rental equipment for the year. nd if you take more classes, it's a bit cheaper thereafter. The availability of courses also seems to be very good if you are planning on continuing with more advanced courses - except from the few months in the dead of winter, you can take scuba classes from about March through October.
I have personally not met any people who have taken the scuba classes but I have heard great things about hoofers from people who have done sailing or other outdoorsy things through them. It's also structured as a club, so unlike taking the classes through someone like, say, Fontana, there is somwhat of a community you can participate in even after the courses (I think they schedule some pretty cool things like shipwreck dives, etc.)
Hope to see ya out there tzenda.:)
smarceller

Postby Rueg on Thu May 25, 2006 9:50 pm

You may want to check out 3-Little Devils up by Devil's Lake. They may be a little cheaper if you don't mind the drive. Though it was a long time ago when I was certified there. The swimming pool training is in Sauk and then your final exercises are at Devil's Lake.
Rueg

Postby Mark on Fri May 26, 2006 5:38 am

Place we got certified is no longer - but I'd strongly recommend meeting the instructors, perhaps asking someone who has been through their training what they thought.
IMO, sure helps having a good instructor.

As for equipment - IMO once you want to go diving - you'll want your own mask + fins ... and most places will supply the equipment past that. I didn't mind buying those, as they'd be what I'd want for snorkeling anyway ... and are the more personal-style parts I think.

Good luck on it. It's a fair bit of work I thought - we had two exhausting weekends ... but it was 1000% worth doing.
After diving, I'm unsure I'd want to snorkel much again - as IMO diving beats it hands down.
Mark

Postby BraenDead on Fri May 26, 2006 8:43 am

When I was at UW a good friend of mine helped run the Hoofers scuba club - although I never took the classes I have heard it is an excellent club from other friends who did get certified. About the only drawback in my view is the requirement to be a Union member (wish I would have become a lifetime member when I was a student!), which can add $50 to the cost for non-members.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby meisen on Wed May 31, 2006 7:07 pm

Hmm very tempting....I will have to check with my SO and see if the work schedule will allow. I have been wanting to do this for a while. Doing it with some other MARS folks would be cool.

Mark
meisen

Postby mfd78 on Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:38 am

Let me know if you find any coral in Devil's Lake Mark!

I think the warm water dives are more relaxing...
mfd78

Re: Anyone interested in learning how to scuba?

Postby meisen on Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:17 pm

Well, to dredge up this old thread, I just got my initial certification with Diversions out in Middleton. Wife got it for me as a B-D present. SWEET!!!! :lol:

I am pretty much bursting at the seams to do my checkout dive and get diving in an actual body of water but it looks like it wont be until next spring. It was so much easier to do than I thought it would be.

For anyone considering doing this, I dont have any reservations about recommending Diversions. The class was slighly less expensive compared to Hoofers (plus you dont have to be a Union member if you arent), instructor was nice, fun and knowledgeable and it was pretty well organized. Confined water dives were at Harbor Athletic Club next door so pretty easy to get five dives in two days.
meisen

Postby BraenDead on Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:38 pm

Congrats! It's a ton of fun, Madison certainly has lots of groups/clubs to make the local diving a little more exciting.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby meisen on Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:34 pm

Thanks! I still have a lot to learn/experience to get up to where I am comfortable in open water but perhaps in the future a group dive trip to somewhere warm is warranted. I talked about it with one or two folks a while back, now I can actually participate. Seems like if you get 10+ people together you can arrange some pretty sweet deals.

Diversions had a 6 day stay and dive in the Keys that they were advertising for 999 including local transportation and some meals I think. Thats not too bad when you figure the lodging alone is usually around 150-200 a night.

Little does my wife know how badly her lovely gift is going to impact our pocketbook :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
meisen

Postby BraenDead on Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:45 pm

I've always wanted to do this - would love to go with some others in the group if anyone is interested.

http://www.sharky.tv/main.aspx?id=42

I know it will be until spring for you to be certified Mark, but its something to think about. I think trips down to the keys would be a lot of fun as well. I go down there a bit (just got back 2 weeks ago actually) so am fairly familiar with the area.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby bobbet43 on Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:07 pm

you should check out blackbeard cruises. they put you on a sailboat for a week with 2 2 tank dives a day plus night dives and for those that want real excitement, diving with sharks. i know three little devils goes down every year. i believe they do offer group discounts
bobbet43

Return to Club Lounge