Need input

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Need input

Postby Falcon57 on Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:59 pm

Any computer geeks know of this program and is it something that is a good thing or something to avoid like the plague:

http://www.satellitetvtopc.com/o/?hop=promomom[/url]
Falcon57

Postby Ereefic on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:59 pm

I have no clue, and i'm not a computer geek.

I have this new thing called a 'television'. :)
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby mfd78 on Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:16 pm

I, on the other hand, fit the title of "computer geek".

This TOTALLY looks like a scam to me. It doesn't even look like a real box in the ad - looks like it's computer generated. So, the point is you get everything that all the satellite and cable people get - but it's free? Uh, yeah...right. All the signals are scrambled so good luck.

In fact, I just re-read it and saw "the tv channels are streamed through an internet connection. You just need an internet connection...blah, blah". So, it's probably just a $40 web page that they give you with some streaming video sites on it to watch the "big game" on. Probably streams in a postage stamp sized window too...

There is a product that decodes HDTV off-air signals and puts them on your computer and that programming is free. I used one for a while - it worked pretty good. It actually came with an antenna and video board that fits in your computer. I'm guessing the satellite dish in your ad isn't even included - why would it be? It doesn't give you an internet connection, tv signal or anything else and how are you going to download it anyway! :D

My take??? Stay away! Far, far away!!! Of course it can't be any worse than investing in an aquarium! :D

Later,
Steve
mfd78

Postby OceanicNG on Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:21 pm

Heres my input.

Dont pay for it when you can get it for free.

FTA Satellite has been around for a while now, and many people use it. FTA means Free To Air.

http://www.tech-faq.com/fta-receiver.shtml

People these days have even found out ways to get regular pay channels. I stay away from that kinda thing, but it is absolutely being done illegally.

-ONG
OceanicNG

Postby BraenDead on Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:17 pm

Another vote for crap - quick google search shows this.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Falcon57 on Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:39 am

Thanks for the input. :D
Falcon57

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:28 am

seems like a scam.

look into FTA if you want free channals.

BTW i believe it is not illegal to get free(pirated) satalite channals... however it is illegal to sell satalite boxes or cards to get it. basically all your doing is pulling out signals outta thin air. no difference then using a scanner to listen to police radio, or your nieghbors cordless phone calls... :lol:
my fish drink better then i do!

OceanNwisconsin

Postby mfd78 on Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:54 pm

Actually...

Wisconsin Law Relating to Cable Television
943.47 Theft of satellite cable programming.

(1) DEFINITIONS. In this section:

(2) PROHIBITIONS. No person may decode encrypted satellite cable programming without authority.

(3) CRIMINAL PENALITIES. The following penalties apply for violations of this section:

(a) Except as provided in pars. (b) to (d), any person who intentionally violates sub. (2) is subject to a Class C forfeiture.

(b) Except as provided in pars. (c) and (d), any person who violates sub. (2) as a 2ndor subsequent offense is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor.

(c) Except as provided in par, (d), any person who violates sub. (2) for direct or indirect commercial advantage or private financial gain is guilty of a Class E felony.

(d) Any person who violates sub. (2) for direct or indirect commercial advantage or private financial gain as a 2ndor subsequent offense is guilty of a Class D felony.
mfd78

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:06 pm

Thanks for that tidbit, of information!

Learn something new every day!
my fish drink better then i do!

OceanNwisconsin

Postby Ereefic on Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:00 pm

I am authorizing you all to get all the free satellite signals you want for free!!!
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby therazorsedge on Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:01 pm

What kind of channels do you get with the FTA? (ESPN, USA,....) HD? Does anyone use it?
therazorsedge

Return to Club Lounge