Best inexpensive-moderate priced video camera

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Best inexpensive-moderate priced video camera

Postby meisen on Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:12 am

Hey folks,

I know some of you are really into tech toys and are very knowledgeable about them. Anyone have opinions on a decent, reasonably priced digital video camera? We are looking for something that can record Debbie's birth (probably just about any camera would work here I would think) as well as one I can use to record my rowing team (lots of movement, far away, low light sometimes). I would like to have the transfer to the computer as easy as possible via memory card preferably or USB if that isnt an option. We wont likely do much editing other than a simple cuts to make the video a manageable size. As for exact price, its going to be a gift from my inlaws to us so I want to keep it as modest as possible.
meisen

Postby Bubbareefer on Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:33 pm

You should talk to mark H about that I think he is into Cams.
Bubbareefer

Postby mfd78 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:18 am

Mark - there are quite a few of the mini DV camcorders out there for under $350. Even Target has quite a few. Canon, JVC, Panasonic and Sony all have models. Many of the company's are going to recordable DVD - which I'm not real sure I like. It keeps the number of moving parts to a minimum but recording to a DVD once just seems like a waste for some reason. Camcorders with Hard Drives are becoming more common now too. Few moving parts but limited recording time/quality and more $$$.

I've used many camcorders - pro and consumer, but owned none so I can't give you a recommendation. I'm sure you could spent 30-40 hours researching on the internet though... :)

Steve
mfd78

Postby meisen on Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:01 pm

We wound up with a mid-line Panasonic, a PV-GS300. Takes amazing footage from what I was used to back in the day (remember when cameras had seperate VCRs that you carried on your shoulder? Yikes!). My only complaint is that it isnt the greatest in lower light conditions but otherwise its sweet.
meisen

Return to Club Lounge