Wonderful Beagle needs a good home.....:(

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Wonderful Beagle needs a good home.....:(

Postby vogs82 on Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:22 pm

It pains me to have to write this, but our family dog is in need of a new home. My 1 year old seems to be too much for her handle anymore. She snapped at his face this evening as he was tugging on her tail. "Ellie" is a 13" AKC beagle who was born 10-31-04. She is honestly the most loving an kind hearted dog I have ever had. We know she is good with kids who are a little older, as many of our neighbor kids play with her constantly with never a problem. We really want her to go to a good home and we will be pretty particular of where she goes. If anyone has any questions or is interested let me know. Thanks, Matt
Tigers love pepper, they hate cinnamon.
vogs82

Postby tim on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:49 am

IMO I would not give up on Ellie yet. It may just be an adjustment period. Not that there has been a little a issue be very watch full of the two. I myself have three Staffodshire Bull Terriers. They range in age from 5 months - almost 4. Do a search on thoese, and you will find some good behavioral issues. Sometimes it takes just a little time. Sorry for the hard spot you are in. BUt that is IMO. Tim
tim

Postby Rueg on Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:31 pm

If a dog gets its tail pulled and it hurts the dog is going to react. I can't think of many creatures that don't react to pain. It is either teach the child not to pull the dogs tail and whatever else is being done to the dog - or get rid of the dog. :cry:

My dog is 14 years old now. We have thought about getting another dog, but I don't think I could do it at this point. We had two dogs at one point and our remaining dog gets along great with other dogs - even my parents psycho snippy dog and my sisters psycho highstrung dog. But my parents dog and my sisters dog hate each other - both females. Our dog is a male and I do think male dogs get along better with female dogs than female with female dogs. Female dogs are so 'I am the alpha dog' attitude - at least in my experience. I just would feel bad to get another dog at this point being that I would feel like we are replacing him. After he is gone then maybe then.
Rueg

Postby tim on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:50 pm

When it comes to The "Alpha" in Dogs. That can come from many things. We three of the same breed. 2 femals and 1 male. Our puppy the Jade who is the one intact (not fixed) is starting show the I am alpha dog. It is a very hard choice to make betweem your fmaily dog and yours kid(s). I have both so I feel for you. I would just work on kid/dog interactions just like a trainging session for your dog. When it comes to dogs, they are first true love next my new hobby my little fish tank...lol But i will keep my ears open for anyone that might want a Beagle.

Have you looked at a local Begal rescu group?
tim

Postby OceanicNG on Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:12 am

tim wrote:When it comes to The "Alpha" in Dogs. That can come from many things. We three of the same breed. 2 femals and 1 male. Our puppy the Jade who is the one intact (not fixed) is starting show the I am alpha dog. It is a very hard choice to make betweem your fmaily dog and yours kid(s). I have both so I feel for you. I would just work on kid/dog interactions just like a trainging session for your dog. When it comes to dogs, they are first true love next my new hobby my little fish tank...lol But i will keep my ears open for anyone that might want a Beagle.

Have you looked at a local Begal rescu group?

Alpha dogs are nothing more than the leaders of their pack. However, dogs look at you as being in their pack also. Kids included. The child has already been established as the lowest in line. Somtimes adjustment can be the costliest mistake you can make. If the dog doesnt understand now that she/he cant snap at younger kids, its just that.

I have a beagle and a Hound, and i love the life outta them. If my dogs ever... and i mean ever snapped at my son........ Outdoor dog kennel time. A few months would go by, and Id try to let them inside again. just to give you an idea, both of my dogs sleep under the covers with us.

Id love another beagle inthe house, but with a 2yo Im guessing that im not in any better of a situation that you.

Good luck,

Andy
OceanicNG

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:01 pm

that dog needs a timeout, not a new home!!

it could go either way... either he was being defencive or he was being dominant. and both are unacceptable. I would work on him a little bit everyday with the child and watch closely. I havnt read to much on beagles so it might be worth it to seek a professional opinion, but from owning a rottwieler and reading countless behavior threads, books, and magazines I know from reading that most dogs can be "broke" of behavior problems.
my fish drink better then i do!

OceanNwisconsin

Postby tim on Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:46 pm

OceanWisconsin, I could not of said it better. Comming for a similar standpoint of breed issue with your dogs and mine.

Tempermants and personality traits can be changed with time and training.
tim

Postby polaris192 on Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:03 pm

Dog Whisper? Ceaser? Maybe get on T.V. :lol: Speaking of that show I love the South Park version of it where Cartmann gets trained by Ceaser. You gotta just love that show! :D
polaris192

Postby Sula on Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:21 pm

Just in case you try to keep your dog, here is something that worked with mine:
I have 3 dogs, the smallest of which is a beagle. About the time the beagle got old enough to figure out she was'nt the alpha dog (not with 2 labs in the house) she started to growl at my youngest child. I couldn't figure it out, why this sweet and wonderful dog would show this aggression. One day my husband said "I think she's trying to move up in the pack"
So I decided to put my son in a more dominant position. For the next month, only my son fed the Beagle. Twice a day, every day. He became her only source of food, and after the first week he gave her a "sit" command before putting down the dish. It worked.
Your son, at one, is obviously too young for this exact thing, but maybe there is a variation you can do.
Either way, I wish you the best of luck. And certainly if there is any question about your child's safety, do not compromise.
Sula

beagle

Postby vogs82 on Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:23 pm

I appreciate all the support guys/gals. We are still undecided at this point. I have a friend who owns 40 acres in Rockford that are fenced in. He has 13 dogs and said he would love to take her. I think she would love to hunt for rabbits everyday and run with her nose to the ground like she was meant to do.......sounds like a good opportunity. But, we'll see, it will be hard to say goodbye....
Tigers love pepper, they hate cinnamon.
vogs82

Return to Club Lounge