Reef Oriented Vacations.

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Postby Mark on Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:56 am

My wife and I really loved diving in Bonaire, down near Aruba.

It's 100% marine sanctuary ... no fishing/etc - but great diving. Much of it shore-diving [no boat needed, meaning no crowds/others at your dive spot].

Not so much to do outside of be in the water [small island, not many beaches] ... but incredible underwater stuff. Generally out of the hurricane zone too, besides the old Acropora smashed around the shore a decade ago the reefs were in great shape].

Not the large currents of the Gulf Stream area [or Cozumel] ... which was nice, though it lacks the large Pelagics that are found in heavier current areas [no sharks, no rays, few of the huge ocean fish].

But great reefs and diving. We got certified ahead of time, which IMO I'd recommend if diving.

Then again, I've never been to Belize or Mexico, so can't really compare. That said, Bonaire was a diving wonderland IMO + if you've got the smaller life + coral focus - it's just ideal.
Mark

Postby meisen on Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:22 am

Yeah I think Lee (fmr Aquatic Specialties owner) and his wife went a few years back and had a good experience too from what he told me. We are looking at going to the Keys again this year but unfortunately it looks like Bahia Honda is all booked up already :cry:
meisen

Previous

Return to Club Lounge