A bit late, but did anyone else crash & burn?

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

A bit late, but did anyone else crash & burn?

Postby Madison Jeff on Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:23 pm

Saturday I went to the 21st Annual "Great Taste of the Midwest" after a decade hiatus.

The good news is I didn't have to drive, and the neighbors were taking car of the dog's needs.

The bad news is that these things meant I coudl be completely irresponsible, and maximize the amount of beer I could try.

So the bad news is that I tried as much as possible.

And the good news is I made it....though it was touch & go for awhile Sunday...what a hang over!

Did others go to this? I was a lot of fun....even though I can't remember anything after about 5pm....

maybe I need another decade hiatus?!
Madison Jeff
Madison Jeff

Postby meisen on Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:37 pm

Oh nice, yeah I wanna go sometime and be irresponsible too. I hear its quite the thing. And I am partial to good beer. :P

howja get tix?
meisen

I gott'em thru a friend at work

Postby Madison Jeff on Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:06 am

One of the Pharmacists at work is a member of the beermaster guild, he home brews soem great meads, etc.

I was lucky, he offered the tix as a part of an auction and I out bid others.

The beers were wonderful, and it was very entertaining. Also, I ran into hoofer scuba club friends, people I used to play softball with, and former CUNA Mutual folks. So it was somewhat a homecoming for me, lots of people I haven't seen in about a year.

A real blast....though I need to exercise a little more restraint next time....just cuz I had no responsibilities for a day, I am not quite conditioned to drink mass amounts of beer any more (smile).

The key date for tix is the first Saturday in May...but the tix are very scarce. So there are people who camp out at liquor stores all night, hoping that they have soem to sell. And there is a limit of four tix per person.

So it might5 be worth becoming a part of the guild....not sure what the requirements are. But it was a fun time, and maybe beer making woudl be another fun hobby to get into.
Madison Jeff
Madison Jeff

Postby beergeek on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:42 am

I had a "FEW" there on saturday. Got in line at 10:30, Think we got home around 7:00 managed to make some food then pass out. No hangover sunday, Gatoraid the night before is your friend.

jim
Beergeek
46G Oceanic Bowfront
beergeek

Postby Mark on Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:10 am

I was there too.

IME, the more I go to consecutively ... the more responsible I am + better I end the day. I've had to learn the hard way about barleywine and other very high gravity beers ....

Had a great time as usual. My wife and I volunteered this year for our first time ... loved being able to take off Friday to `work' @ the fest ... then get in as a volunteer, a little early on Saturday to claim space and get started.

The homebrewers/tasters club is a pretty relaxed group, lots of nice people and very accomplished brewers ... also a very loose group, with some regulars at meetings and others who hardly have time.

It's an absolutely amazing event for a all-volunteer organization, and I've been happy/impressed to never see a violent act or horrendous intoxication there. Yes, many buzzed people ---- but riding home on shuttles/cabs/rides [couldn't be happier about how easy transport is, just a long walk home for us from Capital's free shuttle :)]
Mark

Return to Club Lounge