compusa

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

compusa

Postby bobbet43 on Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:19 pm

i don't know if anyone has used them for repairs but i think they are terrible at it. i've had my laptop in there twice in the past 1 1/2 mos and it still isn't fixed right yet. the last time it came back they only fixed half the problem and they said they would send it back right away. well a week goes by and nothing, then i get an email from them stating that it just went back on there system for repairs. so i stopped by to see what was going on and they said they were waiting for their tech to look at it and wasn't sure how far the repairs were and that they would call me to let me know the next day. well guess what, they never called so i called them and was told that it was sitting on the shelf waiting for a box to send it out, for the past week. was i hot, i picked it tonight and take it to another place. whlie they were checking it in the serail# didn't match. i should say that this is all under warranty so the serial# is registered with the manufacturer which is the same as my sales reciept. iwas told that when they replace harddrives they sometimes need to redo the serial#. so is this true or did they give me someone else's laptop. needless to say i will not be going back to compusa again. i'll let you know what happens next
bobbet43

Postby SilverSurfer on Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:55 pm

I've had this problem with best buy, seems to take a month or better to fix anything wrong with my labtop, something about they dont actually fix them there in the shop, they send them back to the maker. They sent it back once without even doing any work to the labtop :shock:
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby Longinus on Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:02 pm

Wow, thats some terrible service. What was wrong with your laptop in the first place? I think its terrible that these places take their customers so lightly
Longinus

Postby bobbet43 on Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:01 pm

well what happened was that i was doing updates and when it came time to reboot it got stuck in what they call a loop and won't restart. i treid to talk to the manager about it and it seemed like he wasn't interested in what was going on. so i emailed compusa corp to let them know what was going on. now i guess i'll wait and see whats next. if i would have been thinking, i would have gone to the apple store to start.
bobbet43

Postby Aimforever on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:20 pm

You took your Mac to compUSA? :shock: :shock:

Oh man I hope you get everything worked out. Best of luck.
Aimforever

Laptop "repair'

Postby Toddah on Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:44 pm

Sounds like you are in reinstall windows mode. the only good thing is you have not had it long enough to accumulate hundreds of files you cannot afford to lose. When an update goes bad the issue is that you are generally in a situation where you have half old files and some new files and the operating system has not registered the new files yet so it just hangs. There are some tricks and some software we can use to try to revive the broken system but it all takes tech bench time and NOBODY wants to spend any money for the time required so it's easier to just reinstall.
Sounds like your computer hardware is working and the issue is with a software update thet has went bad, now I update about 300 PC's every time a Microsoft update comes out and I have about 3 failures a year so I think MS does a pretty good job with updates. I think you just hit the luck of the draw and got hosed.
Like I said reinstall and go on with life, Sorry.
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby sslak on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:03 am

If it was your "hard drive" that failed and not some other component, there should be no reason for the serial number of the machine to change.

I'm a windows tech. and I don't deal with mac much but the physical components are all the same. Hard drive has nothing to do with the serial number stamped on the chassis of the laptop.
Steve
sslak

Serial Number change

Postby Toddah on Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:12 am

If indeed they sent it back to the factory what generally happens is you get what is called a depot exchange. You get a referbished laptop with your hard disk and memory reinstalled inside it. with most od the components being VLSIC or miniture surface mount components there is very little repair actually done to most laptops. so that could explain where the new serial number came from. Just a guess.
Did you have aftermarket software installed on it that you put on after you bought it? Was it still there when you got it back?
What did you mean when you said "half fixed" ?

Hey SSLAK where are you a tech at?
I just spent 4 months trying to hire a good tech and had a hell of a time finding one.
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby bobbet43 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:41 pm

well i got it back 2 days ago and everything seems to be working fine now. but after reading what toddah had posted i looked a little closer at it and there are scratches all over the bottom that were not there before , so maybe i did get a refub back, which really gets me. now who did it, compusa or the apple store. as far as the serial # goes, i was told that when they change the harddrive that the serial # needs to be changed also. well all the serial #s match now. i'll be talking to them tomorrow to see what's going on. if it is a refub, atleast they could have been upfront and told me
bobbet43

Return to Club Lounge