Dish Network or DirecTV

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Dish Network or DirecTV

Postby Ereefic on Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:58 pm

Is anyone using either of these for TV? Looking into switching from Charter (I hate them) and wondering if your happy with your service from either of these places?
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby tl_vang86 on Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:03 pm

i hate charter and i had dishnetwork before but the only complaint i have with dish is that when it snows or rain really hard you lose signal. other than that i like dishnetwork more than charter. charter sucks!!!!!!!!
tl_vang86

Postby Chachijoe75 on Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:34 pm

I have Dish HD and it rocks. True, when conditions are severe you mill loose signal but in my case it has never been for more than 5-10 minutes, and I'm talking nasty blizzard. If you believe your are loosing signal too frequently you can call the installer to re-adjust the dish, it should always point south, and have the correct transpondersset in the receivers, some installers fail to do this correctly so double check by calling DISH service, the will be able to tell you the correct number according to your ZIP code and you can change it in the receiver yourself.

I have 2 HD boxes and 1 standard def. No complaints on the equipment. I use one of the receivers on a 92" screen and no pixels or artifacts to be seen. Channel selection is great, quality is much better than Direct TV because of their MPG4 compression algorithm...and the price is right!

MHO...but I did worked in broadcasting for 14 years :)
Chachijoe75

Postby Rueg on Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:34 am

We have had Dishnet for several years. Had DirectTV before that. I liked the DirectTV packages slightly better, but I feel DishNetworks hardware is much better than DirectTVs. The dual tuner sat receivers are very cool.
Rueg

Postby SilverSurfer on Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:00 am

Only downfall with Directv(my aunt switched recently from charter to them) is the Cable box doesn't tell the time :roll:

Seen Directv has a new billboard off the Beltline i believe it was. "tired of charter? add ur name to the list" :lol:
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby Ereefic on Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:20 am

Are these services more reliable than they were, say, 5 yrs. ago?
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby blairk on Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:28 am

we have directtv, everything has been good so far.
blairk

Postby spbreeder on Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:35 am

We have had DirecTV for seven years and it has gotten better. If it snows hard we have had to go out and sweep the snow off the dish. We have TIVO with one of our receivers (recommend upgrading instead of using the crap they give you) and love it. I am sure dishnet is comprable.
Denise
spbreeder

Postby Ereefic on Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:49 pm

Thanks guys and gals. I'm trying to convince the wifey to try statallite TV, but having sold them years ago, she is under the impression that they stink and nothing has changed for the better with satallite TV.

It's been a few years since she's sold them, so is everything basically the same now as, say, 5 yrs. ago? Better service, etc.? I would think better technology has made things better.

HI HONEY! :la:
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby therazorsedge on Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:09 pm

Currently I have Charter but I will probably go with Direct TV because of the new HD channels they are comming out with. Also, Direct TV has the local channels in HD which is a HUGE plus(do not have to have an extra antenna). Go with Direct TV if you have a HD TV. Here is the list of the channels that are comming out on the 16th of this month.

To date, DIRECTV has signed agreements or agreements in principle, to launch the following networks.

-- A&E
-- National Geographic
-- Bravo
-- NFL Network
-- Cartoon Network
-- SciFi Channel
-- CNN
-- Speed
-- Food Network
-- TBS
-- Big Ten Network
-- The History Channel
-- HGTV
-- The Weather Channel
-- MTV
-- USA Network
-- Disney Channel
-- Versus HD
-- Toon Disney
-- TLC
-- ABC Family
-- Animal Planet
-- ESPNNEWS HD
-- The Science Channel
-- Starz E/W feeds
-- Discovery Channel
-- Starz Edge
-- The Tennis Channel
-- Starz Comedy
-- Showtime West
-- Starz Kids & Family
-- The Movie Channel
-- CNBC
-- Chiller
therazorsedge

Postby Chachijoe75 on Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:14 pm

All those are currently available with Dish....So I guess is a matter of which company will offer better service, pricing and package options. It's good to see that, because it levels the playing field and we as customers benefit!
Chachijoe75

Postby therazorsedge on Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:20 pm

They offer those channels in HD? I know they offer them in digital but not HD.
therazorsedge

Postby Rueg on Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:47 am

I think the equipment has improved over the years as technology has advanced. The dual tuners in DishNets receivers are very clever - being able to hook it up to two TVs and just have the one box. The second TV is controlled by a RF remote control. You have to run a coax cable from the tuner to the second tv - thus the picture quality isn't as good. But still, to be able to watch two different stations at the same time and not have to pay for a second receiver is great! Plus then if you have a DVR in that receiver you can watch those programs on two different TVs. Or more. In our case I have the output from the receiver running to 3 different TVs. That channel is tuned in by a certain channel on the TV - like channel 60 in our case. Need to get more remotes though!
Rueg

Postby SilverSurfer on Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:54 am

Speaking of remotes, why the heck dont they put a button on recievers and tv's that will make the remote control Beep when u cant find it :x

Would think that'd make some good bucks !
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby Rueg on Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:07 am

Oh, and I think the menus and user interface on the receivers have become much better over the years.
Rueg

Next

Return to Club Lounge