Dish Network or DirecTV

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Postby Rueg on Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:00 am

My wife loves the Monster channel.
Rueg

Postby snorulz on Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:16 pm

dish is getting installed on the 13th. Good bye charter!!!!
"some people are like slinky's, not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."
snorulz

Re: Dish Network or DirecTV

Postby Inleroo on Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:35 pm

Why all the charter hate? i'm new to town so i dont know...are they evil people or something? or is this more of a dish A:big ten B:more HD or C:i dont get enough negative ads during political season so i dig theirs? =p
When you walk through a storm
hold your head up high
Inleroo

Postby Slakker on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:27 pm

Charter's customer service is pretty poor, and they have a monopoly on cable service in the area...it's really annoying.
Slakker

Postby Inleroo on Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:59 am

in the spirit of full disclosure i must say that i'm a charter employee. (Though a very new one in this town.) and i am shocked how how many terrible stories i hear about the service in this local office. i personally find the level of support provided astoundingly poor. Which, i guess may be part of the reason i was brough it. Anyhow, i would recommend any of you what have charter problems ask for tech 366 if ever you do call in. if nothing else, I can promise that you'll get good service from him.

and the monopoly issue has alot more to due with the local governance and how they operate than anything that charter does. If the 'monopoly' issue is something that offends a great number of people here, it is something that can be changed quite easily by the city of and cities around madison.

I'm not trying to defend the company, as it has a pretty...sordid past, and the local service is clearly not what it is in the system i just came from. but as i said, my advice to friends with charter is to ask for someone you know and can trust.
hold your head up high
Inleroo

Postby Cow086 on Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:45 pm

can you shed some light on when Charter is going to get the Big Ten Network...Im sort of a badger fan and now i have to go somewhere to watch all the games

Paul

Or i guess i could just go over to Eriffic's house...Wink wink
Cow086

Postby SilverSurfer on Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:00 pm

Our business acct with charter we don't have any idea why but we have so much down time it aint' even funny. But my home account, never really had a issue. I really been waiting for time warner to come into the area they are so close, so didn't have to deal with the equipment that comes with satallite. But when pay $175 a month for charter for just two boxes and internet, can get by with directv same goods for $100 and no equipment rental charges.
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby BillWeimer on Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:36 pm

Living way out here in Palmyra, I get the shaft. If I lived 4 miles east, I could have RoadRunner and TimeWarner >< Although Charter hasn't been that aweful, speeds are 50% slower than my parents (Who do have road runner). I can manage though, but I still wouldn't mind giving satellite a shot, if the price was right.
BillWeimer

Postby Inleroo on Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:33 pm

if you have problems, slow speed, downtime, ect....for the love of god call in! call in and complain, demand they send someone! The main advantage of a ltc like charter is that they have people all but waiting around for someone to call in with an issue. I would highly recommend that if you have even the slightest issue that you call and get someone to come look at it. when things run as they SHOULD i get very few complaints.

that being said, and as i stated, there are issues 'round here. which is why they dragged me here from the twin cities.

Big Ten- honestly, no one gave a shite about this back home. most people were more upset bout us moving the gameshow channel than the big ten thing, so i had no idea when i got here what everyone was on about. but i'm speaking with a higher up t'morrow so i'll see if i can get more info on it.
hold your head up high
Inleroo

Postby BillWeimer on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:12 pm

My Charter connection goes down all the time as well. I have written in asking for an explanation of this, but I got/get the pass around. No one can really tell me why any thing happens. I would love to think the system goes down because they are doing infrastructure upgrades to improve network performance and reliability, but I know better. The times when my system goes offline is fairly odd as well. 6 o'clock.. prime time... couldn't they have done this during the day?

Who knows.

A perfect example of this go around follows: A while back I was trying to set up a webserver... http, smtp, pop, imap, ftp, ssl, vnc... all sorts of ports open through my firewall (Smoothwall if anyone is a tech guru). Anyways, I could not get an external connection for the life of me. I couldn't even send email from outlook through my gmail account. They were obviously blocking all sorts of things. I called in, and I got passed to TWELVE different people before I was told I couldn't do it. I accepted this, upset obviously, but I let it go. A couple months later I tried again just for the heck of it, and I got a connection. Well... what the heck? Wasn't I just told I couldn't host anything like that? Who knows. At least now I can set up my tivo box and set my system to record my shows while I'm at work, and play around with various other things.

Come to Jefferson county Road Runner!@
BillWeimer

Postby middleton5 on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:51 am

Here is my problem with Charter. I opted for the "family package" which has the extra channels like Noggin and Nick Jr 2, etc. They don't come in. So we call and the service guy comes out. Says we have a weak signal. He can't fix it so he calls the cable installer guys. They come out and say they can't fix it but someone else can. The "someone else" guy never shows. so we call again and they send out a service guy. He says the same thing. You have a weak signal and he can't fix it. You need a cable guy. So he calls his "buddy" who is a cable guy to come fix it. He never shows. So we have been without our "family package" for almost a year and they pretty much say they can't fix it. If I call again, I will just get another service guy out here taking readings and saying "you have a weak signal".

That's why I hate Charter.
middleton5

Postby SilverSurfer on Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:12 am

If you do call in again, ask if installing a amplifier will work. They had to put one in this office here. With slow speed and down time, they finally came out two months ago and replaced the cable line underground from wherever it was to the building. New office has directv and DSL, we've opt'd to eliminate problem before our heavy traffic flow of business.

O, we had some major down time in March of last year, our credit card machines operate on charter's internet line, about 100 clients opt'd to pay with CC during that time frame, so instead of swiping the card, we punched it in later after we were back up, problem with that is, CC companies charge you more for punching number in versus swiping. Needless to say we billed charter for the extra charges and they discounted our account for it.
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby middleton5 on Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:41 am

Alright - I'll give that a try. One guy thought we needed a new cable because ours could have water damage. I like the amplifier idea.

Jeri
middleton5

Postby Inleroo on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:38 pm

an amp will fix it provided 2 things.
first that its one that passes the proper frequencies both forward and reverse (not the cheap shiny tin ones)
second is that you have a moderatly clean signal to start with. which may or may not be the case.

Either way, an amp is only a band-aid and the under reaching problem /will/ have to be addressed eventually.

I would advise calling in again (i know that you dont want to, nor should you ever have to call in this many times for a simple issue) and raise hell. tell them the story, tell them how many times you've been lied to and complain. it will help. more over, demand they send out a soup or a lead-tech.
hold your head up high
Inleroo

Postby Ereefic on Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:03 pm

Packers vs. Dallas, just another reason charter sucks. :D Sure is going to be nice to watch the game in the comfort of my own home AND watch the game in HD. =P~
Ereefic
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Club Lounge