The Brewers are making me drink

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Postby Slakker on Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:06 am

Uh...what?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that athletic activity is not a problem. In fact, it's a solution. We're the most overweight nation on the planet and you're telling us to lay OFF the sports? Besides that, athletics are a very important part of education. Studies have shown pretty consistently that students do better academically while they are active members of an athletic team. I can personally attest that my grades suffer a bit in the off season.

I assume you meant "deficit." In which case, you're right, more money DOES need to go into education.
Slakker

Postby BraenDead on Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:11 am

Matty, not trying to say your point isn't important, but I do have a few comments to make on your statement...

MattyS wrote:Last year the Deffisut budget (meaning how much Americans spend on) for sports was about 600 MILLION dollars (HOLY CRAP!!!!!)

and the Budget for SCHOOLING WAS 300 MILLION dollars...(poor kids)

First off, the US annual education budget is several BILLIONS (hundreds of Billions, actually) of dollars, no where near $300 million. Reference: US Fiscal Year 2006 Education Budget

Second, I beleive you meant deficit and "deficit" does not refer to how much money is spent on something: Deficit

MattyS wrote:My point is that we need to take the education in America a little bit more seriously, and lay off the sports a bit.

Just a few moths ago there was an article in a sports magazine(not sure wich one) that had a father that would actually lie to his family, and say he was working, to go to football games, even missing the birth of his 2nd child. And when the Wife found out, Divorced him.

Sports are a healthy component of fitness and entertainment in America as well as many other countries. It is one of the few forms of entertainment that is internationally found every where you go. For example, take a look at how many countries participate in the olympics, or just the face that the olympics have been taking place for so long. Especially with obesity being such a large problem facing our nation, I think it would be great for more people to get involved in sports.

Especially when you consider the amount spent on other forms of entertainment, I think that sports is minimal (although it is much more than 600million a year). For example Halo 3 made $170 million in it's first 24 hours being on sale. I consider sports to be more healthy than gaming, although gaming certainly has its place as well. Also, take a look at the movie/tv industry, etc... Billions of dollars are spent on tv and movies annually.

Overall, I am just saying that I think it's unfair to pinpoint sports for anything. There are certainly people who go over the top with sports, but there are also people who dressed up for Star Wars and Harry Potter, etc. In other words, people get very involved and emotionl about a LOT of things. Hope I don't offend you with this, I just don't necessarily agree with your statement. Trying to keep a healthy discussion here :)

Bob
Last edited by BraenDead on Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby spbreeder on Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:21 pm

Thanks Bob, I agree. I would much rather my kids beg to go out and play baseball/football/soccer than play computer or something. In fact many times when they get home from school they NEED to run around for awhile before they can focus on homework or anything else for that matter. If being a Brewer fan makes him want to play baseball that is great by me.
Denise
spbreeder

Postby MattyS on Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:56 pm

I'm not saying sports are terrible, never did. and my numbers were wrong, thank you for correcting me. I ABSOLUTELY agree with people PLAYING sports. My intention on that last post was that we are having greater numbers of people watching sports on tv or buying memorabilia and tickets to games when we could be doing something better. And yes I agree that its not a huge problem, but with the obesity crisis in america, we all need to exercise a little bit more, instead of watching tv

im not arguing with anyone, I deffinately don't want to start anything, all I'm trying to say is we need to start living healthier lives
MattyS

Postby Slakker on Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:10 pm

Here's my thought...I'm already spending most of my money on tuition, why would I spend the little money I have left over on somebody ELSE'S education? I'm gonna do one of two things with it: A. Save it for next semester, or B. Spend it on something that I can enjoy...because, hell, when you're in college, you gotta deal with the stress somehow.

Is it my responsibility to directly fund the education program? No. Is it my responsibility to vote for a candidate who will direct government funding to the right places (education, healthcare, and whatever else I so choose to believe needs more funding)? Absolutely.

As far as exercising more, do you have any idea how many kids are inspired to go play a sport because of televised sporting events? Me either, but I bet it's a lot. Sure, television is a part of the problem, but sports on TV probably isn't what we need to be worried about.
Slakker

Previous

Return to Club Lounge