Holidays

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Holidays

Postby klasikb on Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:32 pm

I just heard on the radio today how Gander Mountain intends to be open on Thanksgiving Day from 3pm to 9pm. I have always worked jobs that were always "open" so I am no stranger to working holidays, but for some reason this is starting to upset me. Some places make more since to be open(gas stations) and then there is the service industry(hotels, hospitals). I get all of those, but for the rest it comes down to pure and simple greed. The places I have worked have been all voluntary for holidays and paid over time so that is a plus, but is that really the point. Where do we draw the line between quality of life for employees and getting those extra sale dollars added to the bottom line. It's not my intention to single out Gander Mountain (Kmart has been doing this for a few years now) that was what just started me thinking. You really can't blame the companies too much because people actually go out and spend money at these places and say to the workers "I can't believe you have to work today, blah, blah, blah" totally missing the fact that if they were not spending their money on these days, companies wouldn't open. One thing that bothers me is the companies putting their "positive spin" on it. Like "We are open because our customers need us to be." "We are open for those that have no where to go." They need to just say it like it is, "We are open because a soft day of sales is better than a day of no sales.
So I guess what I really want to say is if you do go out shopping on a holiday, or go to rent a movie or see a movie or stop for a cup of coffee, show your appreciation to the workers and just say "Thank You" don't make those stupid comments about them having to work because if you really felt bad about it you would be home and not feeding the cycle.
Thanks for letting me vent,
Sheila
Just a girl trying to create a little bit of heaven on earth, without killing it :)
klasikb

Re: Holidays

Postby SilverSurfer on Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:57 pm

Does Walgreens stay open? Only reason i could think of might be good for like kmart, is if something went wrong in that thanksgiving dinner, needed some sort of cook ware or something like diapers, wut not. But gander mountain?? realize its hunting season right now, but come on #-o maybe they'll learn it costs more to be open on that day then they bring in in that day.
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby Mattman on Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:12 pm

I work most every Holiday .It is a normal in the industry I work in.This puts food on the table and pays the mortgage.We always celebrate as the work schedule permits.I think getting wrapped up in the day off is not as important as what the holidays mean.I do not think they have a day off in Iraq.

Matt
Mattman

Postby klasikb on Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:35 pm

I'm not talking Military, or doctors or nurses, etc. I'm not say shut down the world for the holiday. I'm saying do we really need to have all these business open on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day?
It is two days out of the year. I just remember as a kid there wasn't even much open on Sundays let alone the major holidays. What did they do back then? The world didn't come to an end because you couldn't rent a movie or buy a gallon of milk. You shopped the day before and the day after. Like I said, I have always worked the holidays. I just think it's getting crazy! :cry:
Just a girl trying to create a little bit of heaven on earth, without killing it :)
klasikb

Postby Inleroo on Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:35 pm

i agree with mattman. Not everyone gets to have a holiday the same day and those of us that dont get to, dont think the particular date is as important as the day is.
When you walk through a storm
hold your head up high
Inleroo

Postby Rueg on Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:06 am

There is one way to show that you disagree with business being open on holidays - don't go to them and don't make purchases. They are going to be open as long as there is a need and people are going to spend money on those days.
Rueg

Postby blairk on Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:34 am

when i worked for oscar mayer, i had to work on easter but they gave everyone that worked on monday the day off. i've worked on christmas the last three years but i don't mind as i work in a hospital now and we never close. seem like peoples idea of spending time with family on holidays realy has changed since i was little.
blairk

Postby Mattman on Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:09 am

Rueg wrote:There is one way to show that you disagree with business being open on holidays - don't go to them and don't make purchases. They are going to be open as long as there is a need and people are going to spend money on those days.

The only problem with this approach would be that you also would have to not go to these places of business the day after the holiday.Products and services must be done and delivered prior to them opening on any given day.

In my industry we run on Holidays so people can have fresh product the next day.So keep in mind when people hit those big after Thanksgiving sales that there was a large number of people working on the holiday to make it possilble.If everybody just shut it down on a holiday it would make an impact far greater than most people could imagine.
Mattman

Postby klasikb on Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:21 am

Mattman wrote:[
In my industry we run on Holidays so people can have fresh product the next day.So keep in mind when people hit those big after Thanksgiving sales that there was a large number of people working on the holiday to make it possilble.If everybody just shut it down on a holiday it would make an impact far greater than most people could imagine.

Very true, and with business opening even earlier on the day after ( I heard 4 am for one of the stores ) that means people working the night before earlier than normal. I actually don't shop either day. For me there is no deal "big" enough to put up with the madness of Black Friday, but some people love all the craziness of it. I guess maybe if Living Art ran a half price sale that day I would go, but only after checking it out the day before to see what was in stock. :D
klasikb

Postby Sula on Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:38 am

klasikb wrote: I guess maybe if Living Art ran a half price sale that day I would go, but only after checking it out the day before to see what was in stock. :D

:lol:
For everyone, there is a different "special deal" you are willing to act differently for. The retailers are just doing what they have to in order to get people shopping.

I can see both sides to this. I have always worked in healthcare, so working a certain number of holidays comes with the territory. On the other hand, it seems like the more we function normally on those days the less we are all likely to actually celebrate the meaning of the day. How much time did any of us spend thinking of our veterans on Veteran's Day?
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Postby Rueg on Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:45 am

I am with Sheila on the - there is no deal big enough to get me out on those days to shop. I see the prices the same or higher on those days on most items except for few limited selections that the stores usually only have a certain quantity of. Went out one year and bought my wife a present on the day after Thanksgiving - one of the items that was really hyped - only to find it for a few bucks less a few weeks later.
Rueg

Postby Rueg on Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:47 am

Also - bought a printer at Circuit City the day after Thanksgiving - their advertisement said you could buy it online or in the store. The price was online. Went to pick it up and they were sold out and they would not honor the price because they had sold out of the item. I have really grown to hate the day after Thanksgiving day sale. :shock:
Rueg

Postby Cow086 on Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:52 pm

i have to tend to agree with this for the last 6 years working in the retail business at various stores. It is sad that we have to work on these deemed special days, but in the retail world its business as usual. Ive worked for famous footwear, walgreens home depot and steve and barrys. all open on most major holidays. maybe not open to shop but someone is there getting ready for those who will shop the next day. I was a manager at steve and barrys in the mall last year and i was fortunate enough to get thanksgiving off because i was traveling to Milwuakee to see my folks, but you better believe i was there at 2 in the morning getting ready for the store opening at 4am the day after thanksgiving. I had to cut my thanksgiving short with my family so i could be back to open a store that did maybe $300 of business form 4 am to about 11 am. But we were part of the mall and thats when the mall was open so we by contract had to be open too. Steve and barrys didnt run any sales to get people in nor did they advertise. We are not a destination store we leach off of the stores in the mall to get the passer byers.

Oh and to answer a previous question about walgreens they are open 24/7/365. So yes you can go to walgreens on any holiday and some one will be working. Some stores have limited hours on holidays and they tend to run bare bones staff. But still. Walgreens builds them self on being convient to the customer. An not being open is not very convient is it. When you just have to have that soda or pack of gum or what ever cant wait until tomarrow, they are open and ready to take your money.

Yea working on holidays kinda hits a weak spot for me. Cause everyone else i know has off. And yea you can celebrate the holiday on any day of the week if you want but the ones that have off either get to celebrate it twice or you will be celebrateing it by your self. Im sorry but christmas is just not the same a week early or a week late. But thats the territory of working in retail.

And by the way dont ever say to anyone that is working on a holiday that your sorry your there or i cant believe your working today or anything to show that you care. Because honestly you dont cause if you did you would not be there. Or you would take a part time job and help out. For anyone who hasnt had to work on holidays regularly you probably dont fully understand what i mean. but for those who have im sure you have all heard people say some thing like that and understand where im coming form. Like some one else said if you must say something a simple thank you is all that needs to be said.

The retail world dose not get enough thank yous. Working at steve and barrys during the christmas season as a manager. I worked form thanksgiveing to mid january with something like 4 days off. And what thanks did i get for all that hard work.... I got down sized when the times were slow. and have been looking for work ever since. I ve been looking outside of the retail world for a while and even took a temp postion for a while but i am quickly relizing that once your in the retail world and all your experience is in the retail world no one wants to hire you unless they are a retailer. So i have started applying in the retail world again. Crossing my fingers that i can get something worth mentioning and hoping i dont get downsized again when shopping slows down again in winter.

Sorry this is so long but like Shiela i needed to vent.
Cow086

Postby Slakker on Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:48 pm

SilverSurfer wrote:...if something went wrong in that thanksgiving dinner, needed some sort of cook ware or something like diapers...

What goes wrong with Thanksgiving Dinner over at your place that requires diapers? ;)
Slakker

Postby Sula on Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:16 pm

Slakker wrote:
SilverSurfer wrote:...if something went wrong in that thanksgiving dinner, needed some sort of cook ware or something like diapers...

What goes wrong with Thanksgiving Dinner over at your place that requires diapers? ;)

=D> :notworthy:
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Return to Club Lounge