Computer Input.....

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Computer Input.....

Postby SilverSurfer on Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:20 am

I been looking around for a new computer desktop for home, just have labtop. Something doesnt take up room but looks slick. Came across this, its couple hundred cheaper at American TV then best buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... ductdetail

Any input on it? Not big into gaming, basically for web design/multimedia/video work.
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Re: Computer Input.....

Postby CUNAReefer on Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:55 am

Why not get a Mac? Only heard great things about them.
Dont hate the player, hate the game...
CUNAReefer

Postby bobbet43 on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:26 am

i second the mac idea. i got a macbook and love it. not being a computer nerd, i wanted 1 that was very easy to use. it's very easy to navigate and does everything i want and more. if you do get 1, i suggest getting the .mac account also, great for back up
bobbet43

Postby SilverSurfer on Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:05 pm

I've never used MAC, was more/less under impression with not all programs are compatible with MAC. Seen bestbuy carries them might have to take alook. The overall Design of Sony's is what put me over the edge. I also may be working on files at home from work, which is all Vista design/applications...
SilverSurfer

Postby sslak on Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:15 pm

I am a computer nerd...I think Sony makes a fine computer but I want to give you a few words of caution:

That machine appears that it is all built into one single unit. (Similar to a laptop but not quite as portable) And with that design you will have several major inherent problems. I would suggest a more traditional design (or just go all the way and get a laptop)

1. It will be difficult, if not impossible to upgrade. With such a slim design, they engineer each component specifically to fit the case. If you decide in 2 years you want to upgrade the video card, you most likely will not be able to.

2. If one component fails, you are out an entire system rather than just 1 component. It's like having a DVD Player/VCR built into your TV. If the screen dies, your DVD player and VCR are useless.

3. Some of those slim design systems aren't as well designed as they appear. That is a fairly high end PC and those components generate quite a bit of heat. I'm not sure how they keep it cool, but I would be worried about that. For all electronics hot components mean shorter lifespan.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy it, or that it isn't a nice machine. I'm just pointing out some of the things you might watch out for when buying a slim design desktop.
Steve
sslak

Postby SilverSurfer on Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:20 pm

Good points, My labtop before this latest HP one, had some serious issues would take approx a month after i took it in to get it back, took best Buy 5 times before they issued me credit and let me pick a new one.

I have spare computers laying around here from our recent upgrades to the new HP ones here at work, cousin been working on making me a better one that hooks up to my tv so can remove the labtop from there, labtop doesnt care to run Halo for very long before heats up really hot.
SilverSurfer

Postby bobbet43 on Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:35 pm

if you look at mac don't go to best buy, go straight to the istore in westtowne mall
bobbet43

Postby Rueg on Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:24 pm

Check out techbargains.com - they list the latest deals on tech stuff - including computers.
Rueg

Postby SilverSurfer on Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:59 pm

Will do thanks. Imac dont think was open last time i went, been quite awhile since been in west towne.

Now if can just figure out this dang banner, as to why it isn't working.
SilverSurfer

Postby BraenDead on Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:55 pm

If you want, you can send the source FLA to my email bob@madisonreef.com and I will recompile it for you so that it should work. I'll even try to get it done before I leave tomorrow.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Chachijoe75 on Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:34 pm

Get a Mac. If you are concerned about windows apps running on a mac, don't be. Leopard, Mac's new operating system; standard on all new Macs come with Boot Camp built-in. This will allow you to run flavor of Windows OS at the same time you are running Mac os. This is not an emulator, terminal program or anything like it. Mac uses Intel Core DUO processors allowing you to run windows and its apps in a native environment.

This links talks more about Boot Camp: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html

Proud Mac user for about 20 years.
Chachijoe75

Postby Slakker on Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:01 am

Boot Camp is a really sweet feature...dual booting made simple. I currently dual boot Ubuntu Linux and Windows XP on my desktop, and it was a bit of a hassle to set up.

I love Macs and their software/feature suite, however, it's so much cheaper to build a PC than it is to buy any "commercial" PC rig or Mac computer...and plus, with some mental elbow grease and a lot of tinkering, you can get OS X to run on most any hardware set.

IMO, if most of what you're going to be doing with it involves programs and documents from a Vista system, it'd be best to go for a Vista system at home...that way you don't have any more of a mess than Vista ships with :)
Slakker

Postby BraenDead on Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:47 am

Ok - my views will be evident here in a minute. But, I have to ask this question. What is so great about dual booting? If you need to have Windows for some reason, just run Windows. It is cheaper, and one less operating system to maintain (if you dual boot, you have to maintain 2 OS's). A PC is much cheaper than the Mac will be - Mac releases a new OS every 1-2 years compared to Windows every 3-5 years (Windows releasing free updates, Apple requiring you to buy their updates). Also, hardware is slightly more expensive with a Mac.

Don't get me wrong here. If you do not need to run any Windows software, by all means get a Mac - I have no problem with them. It's just that dual booting seems extremely foolish to me.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Slakker on Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:39 pm

I dual boot between Linux and Windows because I prefer the Linux operating system for day to day usage, but many things I have to do for school need to be done on a Windows machine. Dual-Booting, for me, is easier and more practical than configuring a windows emulator to run the programs i need for school (not to mention games) and still allows me to use an operating system that doesn't suck when I don't need my Windows programs.

Plus Linux is free, open-source software...so why not?
Slakker

Postby BillWeimer on Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:14 pm

I run windows and linux. My gf runs macs (something she HAD TO have at UWMadison for graphic design/photography; ok, not really HAD TO have, but she thought it looked cool at the time).

Personally, I like pc's. People that claim Mac's are so much better for certain things may have had a case but there running the same processors your PC's are now. Besides, anything you can do on a mac you can do on a PC, and you won't have to pull out your hair finding out how to do it. Further, like slakker mentioned, you can run linux if you want easily on a pc based system. Install a second drive, dual boot, its easy. And honestly, if you going to be doing anything critical, such as online banking or whatever, I would much rather be running linux to do so.

I have a lot of experience with computers by hobby and by profession (3 laptops at home, 4-5 desktops, running a domain controller, DNS server, DHCP, print services, etc; Local Tech Support Analyst at SCJohnson). If you have any questions on capabilities, feel free to send me a PM.
BillWeimer

Next

Return to Club Lounge