Computer Nerds What to do?

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Computer Nerds What to do?

Postby Cow086 on Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:53 am

First off if any one is wondering im using my brothers computer right now...

Well i got up early to go to the stores today... way to early to be shopping but i got some good deals... whatever... One of the things i got was a TomTom One Le form Best buy. I have been futzing with it all day. It seems to be pretty cool. BUT now this may be a pure cowincidence but when i was down loading a large file for the latest maps for the US and Canada it was supposed to take like an hour to download so i went in the other room for a while to play some video games. And when i came back my computer was turned off. And now i cant turn it back on. I took it pracially apart to blow out the dust that had collected inside and such (there was a lot) and put it all back together. Plugged every thing back in. and it still wont turn on.

Has something like this ever happened to any of you and what should i do to resolve the problem. I know a few computer nerds but they live in Milwaukee and i dont really want to drive to Milwaukee to have them take a look at it. Is anyone willing to come over and help me out... There could be some frags in it for you. Dont have much to offer right now im kinda thin but im sure i can find you something.

Any ways the computer is fairly old i built it when i was a freshman in college like 5 or 6 years ago. I bought all the parts sepperate and bought pretty good stuff for the time. Could it be that something like the power supply just failed or something. I dont know thats why im asking all of you.

Any help is well appraciated

Paul
Cow086

Re: Computer Nerds What to do?

Postby bobbet43 on Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:33 am

i had a very similar problem a while back, downloaded updates and it got stuck in what they called a startup loop. it turned out to be the logic board. i'm no computer nerd but hope this helps some
bobbet43

Postby mfd78 on Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:03 am

If nothing is happening when you try to power on, I'm guessing it's your power supply. That would be where I would start. If your computer is pretty old, I'd just recover your hard drive and put it in a new machine. Otherwise, start shopping for a used power supply on Ebay, craigslist or UW surplus.

Good luck,
Steve
mfd78

Postby SilverSurfer on Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:52 am

I agree with MFD, i missed what brand is it? Most common problem I've had with computers is the Power supply going. First one of mine went it took the damn mother board with it, the power supply isnt very expensive and is very very easy to replace yourself.

Later we discovered that emachines in the models we had, used faulty power supplies and was a common problem but they never issued a recall. We replaced them one by one, and eventually switched over to all HP ones. Very happy with HP, but power supplies can go on any machine, good to have it hooked up to a batterybackup/surge protector.
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby Cow086 on Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:13 pm

its not any brand of computer i built it myself( well had a friend put it together). What is all entailed in changing a power supply. I assume a few screws and disconnecting a bunch of cords. The hard part is putting it all back together right? Any one can take it a part its the putting back thats hard.

Paul
Cow086

Postby mfd78 on Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:49 pm

It's not that hard to put back together. Just take the old one out and see what it says on it (power rating, etc.) and go from there.
mfd78

Postby meisen on Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:26 pm

Sometimes just toggling the power switch and or unplugging/replugging the power supply can do the trick too.

Also make sure your main power cable hasnt worked loose or your start button wire. Both can happen when computer gets moved, jostled etc.
meisen

Postby Cow086 on Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:02 pm

well i went to compUSA today to see if i can replace the power supply and no one there has ever seen the type of power supply i have cause its old. The newer ones have a different type of conector for the mother board. So now if i want to replace the power supply i have to find a place that sells old ones. I looked online for about an hour today and couldnt find the type i need. I think im going to hit up some used computer stores on monday unfortunatly they dont seem to be open on sundays.

Worst thing is im not even curtain that its the power suppply thats my problem. But it makes sense cause it was getting kinda loud.

Oh well

This is a perfect excuse to just build another computer but i dont have the money for it right now being that ive been unemployed for 9 months. Guess i just need to sell more frags...LOL

Paul
Cow086

Postby SilverSurfer on Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:56 am

Paul,
Have a picture, model number, brand of it? My cousin is computer geek, happens to be our tech guy for our place. His buddy owns a computer store in Sun Prairie, can see about helping you track one down.
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby tzenda on Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:41 pm

i have a bunch of old computers layin around if one matches i could probably just give it to you or trade for a frag if ya have one i like :wink:
Your body is not a temple, its an amusment park. Enjoy your time there.
tzenda

Postby Cow086 on Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:32 pm

luckily it was only the power supply. My computer seems to be working fine now after replaceing the power supply.

tzenda If your still willing to give me a power supply if its a match i would still be interested. Since it was kinda hard to find one. And i did buy a used one so who knows how long it will last.

Thank you all for the help you provided.

Paul
Cow086

Return to Club Lounge