Anybody using saltwater on their driveway?

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Re: Anybody using saltwater on their driveway?

Postby meisen on Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:56 am

Yeah you live out in the tundra too..... :lol:

Probably better to just batten down for winter and come out when the snow melts.
meisen

Postby Rueg on Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:45 pm

Aquarium maintenance is a pain this year. We have our own septic so I don't like dumping any saltwater down the drain. Afraid it will kill the bacteria in the septic tank. I carry it out to the edge of the farm field and dump it. At least I am set for another 3 weeks.

Chickened out on dumping the waste saltwater on the back patio - I think it would just turn to ice - not enough salt in it to keep it from freezing. Plus the runoff would probably kill the grass and plants.
Rueg

Postby BraenDead on Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:21 pm

At a salinity of 1.0255 saltwater will freeze at 28.9 degrees F, so probably not the best idea... :)

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby SNAFU 2 on Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:26 pm

If you do dump it down into the septic. I don't know how many Gal. you are dumping, but to re-start the bacteria just use bread yeast a block about once a month. Its cheap and works great, a trick i learn from and old plummer

Tom

Rueg wrote:Aquarium maintenance is a pain this year. We have our own septic so I don't like dumping any saltwater down the drain. Afraid it will kill the bacteria in the septic tank. I carry it out to the edge of the farm field and dump it. At least I am set for another 3 weeks.

Chickened out on dumping the waste saltwater on the back patio - I think it would just turn to ice - not enough salt in it to keep it from freezing. Plus the runoff would probably kill the grass and plants.
"Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile."
SNAFU 2

Postby beergeek on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:27 pm

I would just stomp around in big warm boots, can give your dog some fun play time to. I do have a dog that does love to play in the snow, and I can get her to make her own tracks while I make a area for her.

She is a 60lb Weim so she is not a small wimpy dog though.
Beergeek
46G Oceanic Bowfront
beergeek

Previous

Return to Club Lounge