hd television

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

hd television

Postby electraglide999 on Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:37 pm

i been looking at them. i first was thinking of lcd but now after seeing them in the stores Plasmas seem much smoother. Looking for something of 50'. Anyone have a Panasonic TH-58P2700u Seems to be a good one? What ur take? Suggestions?
electraglide999

Re: hd television

Postby SilverSurfer on Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:07 pm

We all own Samsungs in my home/parents/aunt/cousins, 42-50" plasma's been so pleased with them. To get the true HD, gotta use HDMI and HI DEF dvd player, just amazing quality. Just my 2cents :)
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:07 am

or a PS3 with blu-ray :P
OceanNwisconsin

Postby Rueg on Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:23 am

Be sure to check out what resolution they display - 720p, 1080i or 1080p. 1080p is 'the best', but really you are only going to use it at this point if you have a DVD player that outputs 1080p for HD movies. Most plasmas for a good price seem to be 720p though. If you have a very bright room go for the LCD. If you can make the room dark then go for the plasma, lcd or something else. If you go for a LCD make sure the pixel refresh rate is no slower than 8ms - anything slower than this really bugs my eyes - can see slight motion blurring.
Rueg

Postby Gren on Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:44 am

Whatever your choice for High Def TV's. I would NOT buy a high def dvd player for another year or so. The reason being is that, the war between sony and HD is far from settling down. And you can get a upconverting dvd player for $100 at best buy that upconverts all the dvds you already own to 1080p. the other reason why is because all the hd dvd players on the market right now only have HDMI v1.2 plug-ins on them, and verson 1.3 is comming out next year( ps3 also only has v1.2). The diff between the two is what sound quality that can be transmitted through it. 1.2 can only do compressed audio, v1.3 can do uncompressed audio. the advantage of uncompressed is you get the audio exactly how the master recording is.
Fiffty pirate frigates versus one ninja in a row boat....seems unfair for the pirates, doesn't it?
Gren

Postby sslak on Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:06 am

I have been extremely happy with my 42" Toshiba LCD (1080p). I think that by now Plasma has worked out many of the problems it suffered in it's early stages. I stopped researching after I made my purchase, but check to see if Plasma still suffers from screen burn in if you plan on hooking up a gaming system or anything like that.

The most notable difference between Plasma and LCD is the weight. Plasma is much heavier - it requires a glass pane for the outer screen..glass is heavy. Also the internal components of a Plasma are much heavier. My 42" LCD weighs about 30 lbs. If you put it in one place and never intend to move it...then maybe it doesn't matter.

Other than that, I would definately pick whichever TV is the most pleasing to your eye. Only you can decide which picture you prefer :D
Steve
sslak

Postby SilverSurfer on Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:50 am

The HD Def Players have come down in price to reasonable, heck think its $200 or something, but they also give you 7 HD DVD movies too, them are $30 a pop in the store, so its already paid for itself... blue ray is doing same thing as well. But i think Sony developed films are only coming out on Blue Ray aren't they? Don't recall seeing Spiderman 3 out for Hi DEF players...
SilverSurfer

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:38 am

that is true... sony made movies are only gonna be blu-ray.. makes sence..

as for the HDMI issue... that is only if you use HDMI to carry audio... i persoally use optical..
my fish drink better then i do!

OceanNwisconsin

Postby SilverSurfer on Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:57 am

Seems like Disney as well joined up with Sony, seen many ad's for their movies on Blue Ray, but is Disney available on HD DVD?
SilverSurfer

Postby Rueg on Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:35 am

Here is a interesting article on blue-ray vs. HD-DVD:

http://www.bivingsreport.com/2007/hd-dv ... n-to-wait/
Rueg

Postby electraglide999 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:42 pm

OK, I pulled the trigger. I receive my Samsung LNT5271F 52" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV today, 1/9/08. I ordered it from amazon.com directly (not from a subcontractor). I really was unsure about making such a large purchase over the net (wife thought I was crazy). But so far so good. The tv is in excellent shape. Ordering it on the net saved us approx $500.00 to $600.00 plus local/state sales tax. Could not pass it up. Great pic for just standard cable. Local best buys had none in stock, "Said they could not even get their hands on any due to it being a hot item." Although local Circiut city had one on display (Rockford, Ill.).
electraglide999

Postby therazorsedge on Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:14 pm

Good choice!! I have a Samsung 32" LCD and a Samsung 50" DLP and I am extremely happy with both. LCD's also use about half the electricity as a plasma!
therazorsedge

Return to Club Lounge