Verizon Rant.

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Verizon Rant.

Postby Darb on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:41 am

OK, so my daughter burns through text messages like crazy. She uses up her allotment and then I threaten her for the remainder of the month.

I had 1500 messages/month for her. When she hit 1200 10 days in I decided to upgrade the plan to the 5000 level, which was only an extra $5. Problem solved, right.

Well I get the bill with $72 extra in Text messaging charges. Must be a mistake, right, so I call Verizon.

Here's how they reached into my wallet and removed an extra 35% for my bill this month...

When I switched from 1500 to 5000 messages 10 days in to the billing cycle, they prorate the 1500 message down to the number of days the plan was in effect. Giving me 500 messages but she had already burned 1200. So, I was instantly over by 720 messages at $.10/each. Then another 3000 available messages went unused.

If this concept had been communicated to me when I made the request I obviously would have waited to implement the change and told her to lay off the messages. Customer service said "it's a valid charge" no less than 5 times.

I agree that it's a valid accounting technique, but it also functions as a trap unless you know how they are going to handle it, which they didn't indicate in any way. I feel like such a tool.

Also, texting is dumb.

Anyway, $72 would have bought some nice frags.

So be careful, Verizon will steal your corals!

-Brad
Darb

Re: Verizon Rant.

Postby CUNAReefer on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:06 am

Ouch! I would be Pi$$ed off for sure.
Dont hate the player, hate the game...
CUNAReefer

Postby DDD33 on Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:00 pm

Ok if my math is correct 1200 text in 10 days assuming one is awake 16 hours/day is a text every 8 minutes! WOW! $72 sounds cheap compared to the surgery for repetitive motion surgery. With the way I type I would barely be able to text a message that fast even with all the abbreviations. I have to assume they are answer each other which means more than one is texting back and forth. This is amazing to me, the phone companies have found another way to make a fortune. And yeah it kinda sucks they couldn't just take the time off the upgraded plan.
DDD33

Postby Darb on Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:36 pm

Yeah, 1200 in 10 days. That includes inbound and outbound though. She's 15, I've had this discussion with the parents of her friends. They are each doing thousands of messages per month. It's madness.

I'm sure it's a huge profit for the networks. They are routing tiny amounts of data compared to voice and charging thousands of times more by volume. They have dropped the price by nearly half in the last year.

I still don't understand it. It takes fewer clicks to get someone on the line and talking than it does to text them. It seems like a step backwards in technology.

Here is her status as of right now, 4 days into the billing cycle:
-------------------------------
Sent Received
IN Text 127 131
Other Domestic Text 510 466
Last Text Message 01/11/08, 1:30 PM
-------------------------------

1,234 text messages. How is that even possible?!
Darb

Postby Ereefic on Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:51 pm

Yikes, sounds like some limits need to be set. Or, you could just break her fingers. :lol:
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby SilverSurfer on Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:03 pm

I left Verizon pissed of their high rates and was getting charged high for text's as well. When i went to leave, they informed me i still had a year left, i insisted no i didnt. Due to changing my phone plan few months back, it automatically extended my contract by a year. I had no clue, and nothing in the mail verified that's what they did which they were required to do if extending the plan.

I switched both my accounts over to Helio, with their all in plans, internet, text, all included in their phone plans already it's hard to pass. And their phones are some of the most cutting edge technology phones out there, they just opened up a store at east towne as of dec i believe. I had ordered mine from West coast a year ago. Their awesome :)
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby Darb on Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:15 pm

I sell things to people all the time and I would never do this to someone.

I'm under a year on my 2 year contract, so they really can't extend it by a year, I will be checking with them tomorrow to see exactly how that all works, in their opinion.

The CS person would answer my points by stating the billing strategy and saying "It's a valid charge sir". Ignoring my point that, that's not the point.

Her every move was scripted, I could smell it. Our discussion was not brief.

So.... Gone at first Opportunity.
Darb

Postby power on Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:47 pm

just take the cell phone away. i would never allow my child to text that much. i dont feel sorry for you leting you child get out of hand with a cell phone. #-o
power

Postby Fishcrazy06 on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:15 pm

Call back and ask to talk to the supervisor for the CS that day! I have verizon and underwent some customer service issues as well. My wife and I both get the same phones! That way we can use the same charger at home in the car etc.....well my battery and hers died at the same time. The little kiosk would replace my battery for free but not hers? Go figure so I Called and complained lady said well your lucky you got one battery exchanged. So I said let me talk to your superior! Long story short we ended up getting 2000 bonus minutes. Are contract was up in 3 months and ended up getting 2 new phones for 20 doallrs. Its hard to pass that up in my opinion!!! I like verizon because we really never have a problem with reception! A day later they called to make things were okay and also sent us t he car chargers and leather cases for both phones because of the hassle! So it may be something you could work out. Just my .02 worth!

Eric
Fishcrazy06

Postby BillWeimer on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:47 pm

When I went to school, I didn't have a cell phone and I survived. I would gank the phone service so you could set up another tank for your daughter. When your daughter becomes successful enough with reef tanks to sell her frags, then she can use that money to pay for her phone service.

I think that plan just might work.
BillWeimer

Postby tim on Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:19 pm

My daughter just got her first cell phpone......and in forseeing this problem I added the unlimited text for 5/month extra. The best 5 a month I have spent. I think since she has had the phone she has used 50 mins/month a god only know how many text. But this is with sprint and nextel. But i feel your pain....
tim

Postby Toddah on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:05 pm

I would simply remove the text service from her phone and not give it back until she is mature enough to handle the situation. I have watched this type of communication in action and it is just stupid. they are having a conversation in burst transmission mode. kind of like CB radio communication. My question is if this is constant enough to achive the numbers you are talking about then what else is suffering do to this twiddling on the phone. it would be sort of like A.D.D. caused by phone.
I don't know when people are going to wake up and realize that allowing your children to run amok and disobey direct orders from their parents (I talked to her about it) with the only conciquence being you buying a bigger text plan for her and then being pissed at the phone Company for your situation.
OPEN YOUR EYES and place this displeasure where it belongs! TELL HER TO STOP TEXTING !!!!!!!
Why is it we can get so outraged with the phone company but let our kids get away with anything?
Sorry, I have a real issue with this type of parenting and overlooking our childrens misbehaviour and blaming teachers, policemen, verizon and everyone else for the general lack of respect for any type of rules.
:evil:
By the way I have 2 children who graduated from college and are now Engineers. We had many nights when dad was the biggist A$$ in the universe because he had all these rule they had to follow like listening and being responsible for their actions!
MAKE YOUR KIDS responsible for EVERYTHING THEY DO!! Good or Bad.
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby tim on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:58 pm

The problem with droping text off your plan, is you can still text but then you are o the hook for the .10-.90 per text depending on what they charge you. I think the best thing to do is make her pay her own cell phone bill. That will make her a little more acountable.
tim

Postby Darb on Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:05 pm

Toddah,

Wow, shockingly insulting. Go back and read my original post then read what you wrote and you will (should) notice a complete disconnect between my point and yours. I'm talking about predatory accounting, not parenting.

I can handle the parenting role, I'm very good at it, been doing it for a long time. Of course she's accountable for it. The situation was dealt with, that wasn't the point.

-Brad

Toddah wrote:I would simply remove the text service from her phone and not give it back until she is mature enough to handle the situation. I have watched this type of communication in action and it is just stupid. they are having a conversation in burst transmission mode. kind of like CB radio communication. My question is if this is constant enough to achive the numbers you are talking about then what else is suffering do to this twiddling on the phone. it would be sort of like A.D.D. caused by phone.
I don't know when people are going to wake up and realize that allowing your children to run amok and disobey direct orders from their parents (I talked to her about it) with the only conciquence being you buying a bigger text plan for her and then being pissed at the phone Company for your situation.
OPEN YOUR EYES and place this displeasure where it belongs! TELL HER TO STOP TEXTING !!!!!!!
Why is it we can get so outraged with the phone company but let our kids get away with anything?
Sorry, I have a real issue with this type of parenting and overlooking our childrens misbehaviour and blaming teachers, policemen, verizon and everyone else for the general lack of respect for any type of rules.
:evil:
By the way I have 2 children who graduated from college and are now Engineers. We had many nights when dad was the biggist A$$ in the universe because he had all these rule they had to follow like listening and being responsible for their actions!
MAKE YOUR KIDS responsible for EVERYTHING THEY DO!! Good or Bad.
Darb

Postby Toddah on Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:44 am

Darb,
If I personally insulted you then I apologize! That was not my intent.
When you post in a Grotto type of board area then you are more or less inviting social commentary on whatever you post. My comments were directed at what I perceive to be the root cause of your current situation. the 1200 text messages in 10 days.
your comment was:
"I had 1500 messages/month for her. When she hit 1200 10 days in I decided to upgrade the plan to the 5000 level, which was only an extra $5. Problem solved, right"
Well IMHO and hoping to just explain my comments and not insult you again.
The problem was not solved. I perceived the problem to be you gave her a limit of 1500 text messages in a month and she was well on her way to 3600 messages per month.
My comment and the ensuing rant had to do with your "solving the problem" by buying her an additional 3500 messages per month and not enforcing some kind of responsibility to stick to the agreed limit of 1500.
Don't get me wrong. I hate it when my wireless bill shows up each month just like you do but when you work out the numbers it generally is what I and my elected officials agreed to.
You did agree to the daily prorating correct? so if you did, that then the billing was for the 10 day period and you were allocated 500 messages and used 1200 correct? Why is Verizon predatory? did they fool you into this agreement or take advantange of you in some way or did they do exactly what you asked them to do?
Sorry if we (respectfully) disagree on this but I just don't see where you got anything except what you requested them to do.
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Next

Return to Club Lounge