new mac

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

new mac

Postby spongebob on Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:45 pm

I finally bought a mac. over the last 10 years I have had an Acer. compac, gateway and lastly a dell. All have suffered from hardware failure or a virus. So i decided to spend the extra money and get a mac. I just set up my new 24inch IMac. What a sweet machine, Im running lepard and windows via bootcamp. it only takes about 30 seconds to switch betreen operating systems. afterrunning a pc for the last 15 years its taking alot of adjusting but should be worth it.
spongebob

Re: new mac

Postby CUNAReefer on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:54 pm

Apple is such a sweet company. Anything that they put out is golden IMHO.
Dont hate the player, hate the game...
CUNAReefer

Postby bobbet43 on Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:01 pm

it wil be worth it. i switched to a mac laptop and love it. not being computer savvy, the switch was very easy and i find it alot easier to use :D
bobbet43

Postby Chachijoe75 on Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:41 pm

=D> \:D/ :bounce: :salute: :blob: :blob6: :blob3: :hello1: :headbang: :occasion5: :wav: :wave:

Great to hear! I run 3 Macs at home both on OSX and Linux. If you ever need any help with them, holler!

Chachijoe75

Postby bobbet43 on Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:55 pm

not to hijack this thread but does anyone know if there is a certain way to setup an airport express so i can use the printer through the router from my laptop?
bobbet43

Postby tim on Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:40 pm

So how does the whole software thing work between Mac & PC's? I am really liking the all of the Mac mainly the 24" all in one. But I am afraid of software compatibility issues, are there any? Or what is the deal between the two? TIA Tim
tim

Postby Chachijoe75 on Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:29 pm

No issues with the new macs. They use Intel CPU's so they are able to process both Windows and OS X applications. Leopard, the new OS has Boot Camp built in, this allows for windows based applications to run in a mac environment, seamlessly.

Here is more info...

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html
Chachijoe75

Postby Chachijoe75 on Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:38 pm

bobbet43 wrote:not to hijack this thread but does anyone know if there is a certain way to setup an airport express so i can use the printer through the router from my laptop?

OS X provides the capability to share Printers connected to a Mac.

Under System Preferences >Sharing>Services , enable this option. You will then be able to send job to the printer, provided it is connected to another mac hosting it.

With that said, I don't think this option will work if you only have one machine and want to connect the printer directly to your router/switch, unless it is a network capable printer. If it's not you can get a USB to RJ45 (Ethernet) adapter and make you printer network ready.

Here is an example of such devices...

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellit ... 9439789B14

Hope this helps.
Chachijoe75

Return to Club Lounge